Where to start wall tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by penkenna, May 5, 2022.

1. penkenna

penkenna Active Member

The bathroom wall is being retiled. The floor consists of pine boards which I will lift to work on the pipes etc. Can the first row of tiles be fitted leaving a gap above the floor boards so they (the boards) can eased out and back in to work on the pipes etc beneath. Is there a maximum sensible gap, say 10 or 15mm, the idea being to cover the join with beading.

Ta!

2. Mr right first time

Mr right first time Active Member

I’d just lift a board out and see how much it raises at the tiled wall end before you are able to slide it out and then that’s the distance above floor you’d need to tile.

If you cut the end of the board so it was flush with the tile you could basically have the tile a few mm above the board provided it levered out at the opposite end first.

You can get PVC skirting board which would work well in a bathroom, I fitted some in my parents a few years ago. https://amzn.to/3MOft20

penkenna likes this.
  3. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

I wouldn't tile down that low, and you will have to be very careful not damage them, fir a skirting board first, say 5mm above floor boards

penkenna likes this.
  4. penkenna

penkenna Active Member

There’ll be no skirting just ceramic beading do will leave gap as suggested

5. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

First fix plumbing and electrics would always normally be carried out before any tiling, this wouldn’t be an issue then.

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Measure up the wall just over one tile, fit a batten along the wall and tile up from that first. You can then slot in the lower row when ready.