Where to start

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by cableguy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. cableguy

cableguy New Member

I have just ripped out the bathroom suit to replace it with new and have to tile before plumbers come in. I have an l shaped bathroom with the window on the longest part. Bath directly under the window and shower in opposite corner. Where do i start with the floor tiles and wall tiles. Is it better to do walls first then floor. Doest the floor tiles have to line up with the wall tiles, ie grout lines. Can someone explain pls

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Line it up however you like. Walls first , then floors - you don't want to be scarbbling round on a newly tiled floor doing the walls do you!

What about plumbing first fix? Usually things like bath/tray/pipework/furniture carcase etc would go in before tiling, then tile, then second fix.

3. T482 

T482  New Member

> Is it better to do walls first then floor.

yes

> Doest the floor tiles have to line up with the wall tiles, ie grout lines.

no

4. iceml

iceml New Member

do the walls first but leave out the bottom row
    tile the floor
    then tile the bottom row onto the floor

if you do it this way it will look much neater

5. cableguy

cableguy New Member

Thanks guy's for the help just one other thing when tiling the floor, before the toilet is fixed should a full tile line up to be under the pan or does it not really matter if its half and half. also where should the smaller pieces end up, by the wall or around the bath.

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Whatever it works out at can go under the pan, it does not matter - just keep it level. Are you drilling the tiles to screw the pan down? a bit of silicone under the pan base will stop any rocking if the pan/tile face is not perfect.

small bits should be out of the main line of sight if possible