Which brand for all new setup

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by SparkyAnt, Jul 1, 2021.

1. SparkyAnt

SparkyAnt Member

This is going to be a can of worms I can just feel it ..Sorry!!

Basically..All my power tools are pretty old! Most are cheapo specials and starting to fail……I’ve just finished building my new workshop so I’m looking to start upgrading.

AND… pick a brand!! ;(
    It’s bloody hard!lol so need some real world end user help please.

Looking at decent trade spec as I’ll be using for work …not ultimate professional like Festool(if only)….more Dewalt/Makita/Milwaukee/Bosch etc

Where poss I want to go cordless now

Track/plunge saw - to replace circular saw
    Drill/driver
    Impact
    4” angle grinder
    Jigsaw
    Multitool
    possibly.. hand router
    One day.. mitre saw

Any advice on which brand you recommend going with and why would be really appreciated.

2. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I just did exactly the same. I refreshed my ageing toolkit!
    I bought...
    DeWalt Track Saw ( this, in my opinion, depends a lot on the track you want to use. I prefer the DeWalt track but many people prefer Festool )
    DeWalt Drills
    I didn't buy an impact driver. Too noisy for me.
    Festool Jigsaw. I love the little addition on the head that minimises blade bend, and also the thick blades ( high kerf ) they do to go with it.
    I didn't buy a multitool.
    Dewalt Router (D262004) A baby router, and lacks refinement, but very handy because of it's small size. I bought another fence for it though ( trend ) because the fence for the plunge base lacks fine adjustment. I have considered buying a larger router since then, the 262004 is a baby. I rather liked the look of the Bosch GMF 1600. I like fine adjustment and that's one thing the DeWalt totally lacks. The Triton models are also very good for their price point.
    Festool 120 mitre saw. Definitely a second fix saw, not first fix, and lovely to work with. Repeatable accuracy and I love the variable speed. Yes, it's sure expensive, but they got everything right on that one. For first fix I would have bought DeWalt.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Evolution track saw is good value and tracks are easily bought, however I'd just go dewalt. Loads of great offers on that pop up every day it seems for Dewalt kit

4. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

Having had over 40 years working as a Carpenter (in fact when I srarted we didn't even use power tools!) I've used them all, and my own findings are that if you want a power tool that will work every day, will be tough, efficient, long lasting and just get on with the job, Makita is the brand to have.
    I've personally found Bosch, Dewalt, Festool and Hitachi (now rebranded apparently) to all be disappointing in terms of longevity, while Makita just seems to be bullet proof.

malkie129 likes this.
  5. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

+1 for makita.
    Although if you don’t use them day in day out then Ryobi are a quality brand for the price, they do a large selection of tools and the batteries are interchangeable.

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I have Makita 18V for all battery tools, some like chop saw, plunge saw and 1/2" router are better with mains so brand doesn't matter.

Have got Makita 1/2" router, but Evolution chop saw. Choice largely depends on budget and how much use its going to get. Dewalt chop saw for example is going to be a lot more £££ and I don't use it that much, so went for cheaper option.

Have watched a few videos from Scott Brown Carpentry on Youtube, he's got his head screwed on and lots of videos there about his tool choice (he uses Makita battery but Dewalt mains in general)

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Why does brand matter except for cordless? Surely pick the tool you feel suits your needs best.

BillyBobToo likes this.
  8. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

Festool for track/plunge saw, mains or cordless, ½" router.
    Festool Kapex for mitre saw, I also have a Milwaukee 18v mitre saw for quick jobs
    Milwaukee 18v for drills, multitool, mini router, planer, impact driver - recommend the Surge hydraulic one as it's a lot quieter.