Which Car?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by koolpc, Jul 5, 2018.

1. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I know of too many people who have bought cars from dealers where the car fails in one or another within the so-called warranty period. The hassles really start when you find that the onus is on you to prove to the dealer that the car he sold you was a dud. The hassles of all that have always steered me to private sales. At least you go into them without any expectations that will be dashed later. As golden boy stated above, the savings from going private more than adequately cover the majority of things that you might not have found during your own inspection of the car. If you're not confident that you can assess a second hand car properly, let the AA or RAC do it for you for a relatively small fee (less than £100 I think).

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

For me its a bit of a gamble, but as others have said dealers make life very difficult if anything goes wrong.

I am hunting for a little Nemo at present to run as an everyday van and keep the Relay for first day material drops and shifting big sheets etc.

I have a couple of mechanics who are mates and anything old or high mileage I look at I give them a shout.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I have always bought from a dealer. Afraid of being ripped off buying privately.

4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Private sales are usually because the owner has found a problem which is too expensive to fix...or has had consistent problems.
    Just my thoughts.
    RS

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

May be, but one thing is for sure...there is a reason why they're selling it and you need to get to the bottom of it.

Dealers tend to sell newer cars or cars that are somewhat presentable. Downside is that they could be hiding a mechanical gremlin which they've managed to cover to some degree, but in theory you have some level of warranty/protection...and you pay for that.

6. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

They say that Meriva has the balance of the Vauxhall warranty remaining, although it doesn't make much sense as I think that the original warranty is for 3 years and the car is just over that age? However, I have had a look on Vauxhall's own website and they will extend their manufacturer's warranty for around £250 per year (for cars with full service history and within a certain mileage, which this one easily is). So, if you could knock off that amount - or more - from that gorgeous white Merv, you could add a proper manufacturer's warranty.

I really don't think you can do better. You would love the car, I'm sure. I still want it :(.

The very best big-small car available at the moment - tho' our of your price range since it's new (unless you go contract) - is the Suzuki Ignis. What a car - it is absolutely brilliant. Unbelievably roomy, high-sitting, funky styling.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Thats just a silly statement to make, there can be all kinds of reasons for private sales. New job with car, more children on way, children having left home, moving house to a longer commute.

More pertinently in the area of small vehicles its far more likely to be newish drivers having had it for a year or two to get some no claims built up or at the other end of life older people having packed up driving.

And to be honest in this day and age, checking the MOT history is a two second job. So anything major and mechanical would more than likely show up there.

Allsorts likes this.
  8. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I think retiredsparks is basing it on his own personal experience. As a seller.

Retiredsparks, have you met Deleted member 11267? You seem to have a lot in common.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

There are always those kind of sellers about. Happy to sell a deathtrap to any old trusting soul.

I always find listing a vehicle with every possible fault is the best way.

And often realises a far better return financially.

Allsorts likes this.
  10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Ah, welcome back me owld fruitcake.
    I must admit you abstained for much longer than I expected.
    How's them perpetual teenagers and inspirational hounds doing?

11. What would that be DA ?

12. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

A suggestion, could we ask that this Forum, called "Just Talk" be re-named "The DA Obsessive's Club"?:rolleyes:
    How can a departed ghost affect so many (rational?? ) people?

koolpc likes this.
  13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I have an 05 Honda Civic diesel, always starts, 60MPG, cheap to run, looks like s21t, but it is VERY reliable.

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Looking at a Citroen C1 Feel

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  15. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

These are good little cars. But why are you looking at good little cars when you could have a very good not so little car? :)

If a tiny car is what you really want, can I suggest not short-listing it to one model but making a list of all the ones you would consider. Bear in mind that all of these are smaller than your Swift - a lovely car.

Other perfectly good tiny cars not mentioned before:

Hyundai i10
    Kia Picanto
    Pug 108/Aygo
    Fiat 500

You are not entertaining longer trips, then?

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I took a test drive in a 2015 3dr Citroen C1 VTI 'feel' today. Nice car! Comfy. Responsive. 32k on the clock, one owner. Local Citroen are the seller. £5k (Negotiated price down from £5.5k). This includes one year warranty, one year AA cover, new MOT as just due! Full service. New wheel trims.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  17. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Nice.

Or you could buy a brand new one for only £1.8k more.

That's a basic model too, although it'll obviously do what you want.

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/citroen_c1_hatchback/deal_1_0_vti_feel_3dr_1405131.jhtml

18. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

19. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Kools, just checking Autotrader there are 19 CI's within 50 miles of your previously stated location. Prices seem to be in the £4700 TO £5100 area. If it was me I'd go back to the dealer, tell him that and say £4800 and it's a deal. That gets one of your worries off your plate so you can focus on your househunting. Good luck with whatever you choose

Allsorts likes this.
  20. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I think koolpc did really well to get that discount from the dealer, and it comes with all the security he could want; it is not a bad deal at all.

I think I would seriously consider stretching to the brand new model, though, as this would give complete peace of mind for a number of years, as well as the pleasure of a new car.

Treat yourself, coolpc? :)

ramseyman likes this.