which chopsaw now

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by starlight tiles, Dec 19, 2007.

1. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

me old elu is looking a bit tired and dated and is cutting a touch out these days.now 20yrs old.
    what do u lads consider the best on the market these days regardless of cost.
    would only consider makita,dewalt,bosch

2. Guest

Hello There DirtyDoo. it all depends what work u do, ie studwork,framing,channe linining. etc! makita dewalt and bosch all have good saw's. is it a sliding miter saw u need or non sliding? hope this help's

3. mailee

mailee New Member

I have just bought a De Walt 718, expensive and heavy but very very accurate. It is almost like having a portable radial arm saw. It will even cut 6" skirting on end!

4. starlight tiles

yeah it's gotta slide and cut at least 7" skirt.

5. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

6. parana

parana New Member

Bosch GCM 12SD 305mm Slide Mitre Saw £499 comes with a free stand at the moment from Axminster. Have the 10inch, magic bit of kit, wish i had gone for the 12inch

7. murrmac

murrmac Member

> the best on the market these
    days regardless of cost.

> would only consider makita,dewalt,bosch

logical inconsistency there, surely, since " the best on the market regardless of cost" certainly isn't among the three brand names mentioned ...

8. mailee

mailee New Member

would only consider makita,dewalt,bosch

logical inconsistency there, surely, since " the best on the market regardless of cost" certainly isn't among the three brand names mentioned ...

Pray tell, what were you thinking of then? Not a Festool perhaps?

9. murrmac

murrmac Member

the Festool Kapex, correct ...

10. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

personally i have an old ELU which i use for studwork a makita slide saw for cutting large timber joists ,skirtngs etc
    I saw the new festool saw bloody excellent piece of kit with dual laser angle finder but with the price i will stick with my makita its accurate cuts everything i need and i have had a problem with it.

11. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

The Kapex is an amazing chopsaw.

No one thinks about dust extraction.....the Kapex is outstanding on this front, and the accuracy and compact ergonomics go without saying.

I love my dewalt 712, but the extraction is sh*te, and that's even with a festool midi extractor on the end of it.

The 712 is a very accurate saw, combined with the legstand, a very versatile and IMO affordable piece of kit.....cuts 70 x 300.

12. lamello

lamello New Member

My advice. If its cutting a bit out then reset it yourself. No modern saw is built to the standards that Elus were. My ps174 is bulletproof and very accurate. Mine has has so much use the guard raising handle has worn away! Its in being replaced now. Modern chopsaws have too many gimmicks and slidy fences etc. These things are just another thing to go wrong The only thing i would change is to put a depth stop function on it. Whatever anyone says about the new bosch doing this or the kapex doing that, at the end of the day a chopsaw earns its money doing skirting, architrave , studwork etc. Simplest possible machine with the smallest footprint and the toughest build quality is the ideal saw.

13. Tkitt9

Tkitt9 New Member

i recently bought a 12" bosch chopsaw and i have had to send it back twice because the electric brake dosen't always kick in properly.Because it is an intermittent problem bosch say they can't find anything wrong with it,very poor customer service.

14. starlight tiles

thanx lamello.put it in to get serviced/firm paying,so i'll see what it's like when it comes back.
    one of the lads has the big makita choppy but it's too heavy.good though.

15. SaerCoed

SaerCoed New Member

If cost is no object you'll not get much better than the Festool product.

16. starlight tiles

never had any festool gear,rather stick to the other makes i've mentioned as the parts for them are readily available and their easy to maintain i'm told.

17. starlight tiles

looks like it's gonna be dewalt 712 on a 110v.
    £350 from tooled up.

18. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

i tried the festool and it is great for skirts etc but if you do alot of studding then it is naff because it cuts to slow as the blade spins a little slower than some saws

19. mailee

mailee New Member

I agree the Kapex is a great piece of kit but I found that having small hands it was difficult to operate for me. I prefered the horizontal handle on the De Walt, much easier to handle. ;)

20. rotax

rotax New Member

i got my dewalt 712 from ebay and its been a diamond.
    i was searching for a new drill at the time and it was £130 buy it now. the bloke used it to cut his skirtings for his house and no longer needed it.
    even came with the legs etc, all wrapped up in the box and unused :)