which drill bits for rebar in concrete lintel

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by homegoat, Jul 1, 2020.

1. homegoat

homegoat New Member

hi folks, replacing an old window with upvc one, the lintel above it is reinforced concrete, I will try to drill fixings that miss the rebar, but in case that's where the fixings need to be what drill bits are good for going though rebar ?
    Heller trijet are a bit pricey for a one off job
    Makita Nemesis ?
    do screwfix or toolstation do any good ones ?
    just like to be perpared before i start the job, don't want to have to stop half way though and wait for new drill bits

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Rebar is just steel, so any metal drilling bit should be fine. You'll most likely be chucking it away after use as it'll be too blunt to be of much use (unless of course you're equipped and skilled to sharpen it). Buy a few and return them if it turns out that they weren't needed.

3. homegoat

homegoat New Member

thanks, thats a way round it

4. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

shouldn't really be cutting the reinforcing in a lintel

rogerk101 likes this.
  5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Indeed ... in fact the chances of hitting a rebar are pretty low. I've drilled many many lintels to mount curtain rods and pelmets and have yet to hit a rebar. If I ever did, I'd just angle to hole to avoid it.

chillimonster likes this.
  6. 2dowhat

2dowhat Member

err I think not. Have you ever tried cutting rebar? A hacksaw will barely leave a mark on it.