Which engineering bricks to use?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Refche, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Refche

Refche New Member

Hi,

I need to buy engineering bricks for a footing and wanted to know what is better to use, perforated or solid brick, grade A or Bs.

I am unsure whether there are any restrictions on using one or the other.

Also, I have been advised by the builder to use concrete block for the first row and then two rows of engineering bricks below DPC. Is this a standard practice? Is it good to do or should I just use engineering bricks?

Your advice is appreciated.

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Yes it's standard practice, use a heavyweight concrete block in the foundations below ground level and change to an engineering brick before you break ground level. This is purely for aesthetic reasons to make it look nice.

3. Refche

Refche New Member

Tnx @Bob Rathbone

What about the type of engineering bricks that I could use? What are advantages/disadvantages of perforated and solid engineering bricks? Are there are any restrictions on using one or the other.

4. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

No need for solid engineering bricks below DPC. You can use face bricks as long as they are F2 S2 rated.
    Solid cost more, are a bit more difficult to lay and generally not required in the average foundation.