Which filler?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Lijong Tao, May 18, 2018.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

My back door is wood in the centre and has a metal capping on the outside. It has some dents in it in places. I have sanded the door down and prepped it removing all the old paint, cracks and previous paint job but I need to fill these dents to make it look better in black.

What filler would you recommend I use? I have some Red Devil in the shed, would this suffice? I;d appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Photos attached although the dents aren't very clear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] 20180517_180135.jpg 20180517_180138.jpg

2. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Toupret is a good brand for filler.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Red Devil I think, is one of those weird light weight ready mixed fillers innit ? Ie, you buy a new tub and think it’s empty as it weighs literally nothing

Not suitable for this application I would say, this type filler doesn’t set rock hard - maybe ok on a plaster wall

For this type of wood repair, which will be overpainted, you can’t beat Ronseal 2 Part Wood Filler

Sets in ten mins and ready to sand (dependant in depth/ time), no depth limitation, sets like rock, sands down without too much bother, and with varying grades of paper, blends in perfectly with a glass like finish

This is the way to go for this repair

Lijong Tao likes this.
  4. Amusementman

Amusementman New Member

I agree with above

Lijong Tao likes this.
  5. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Is it ok hat the door is metal? Will it adhere ok?

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Car body filler - although I'm not sure how it differs from the Ronseal tbh.

Lijong Tao and Astramax like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Find a supplier of DECOR FILL, again a 2 part filler this one is for the filling of metal, wood, concrete and plastic so far more versatile than the Ronseal wood filler.;)

Lijong Tao and WillyEckerslike like this.
  8. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Thank you all