Which Fixing to secure Cantilever TV Stand to wall?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Proudarse, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

Hi All

I just joined, never knew Screwfix had its own forum. Awesome!

I need some help please and I'll try and explain as best as I can...

I have a toddler running around about the house now and need to secure my TV.

Currently the TV is sitting on top of a low TV cabinet.

Wall mounting the TV is out of the question so the plan is to mount the TV to a tall Cantilever TV Stand (https://www.amazon.co.uk/FITUEYES-U...545326537&sr=8-3&keywords=cantilever+tv+stand) which is being delivered this evening, and tuck that in underneath the existing low TV cabinet.

I then want to be able to secure the Cantilever stand to the wall using some thick steel wire which will be tied to some sort of fixing on the wall behind it.

The trouble is I'm not sure which sort of fixing I need.

I was looking at these https://www.screwfix.com/p/marine-eye-plates-x-2-pack/36070 and was thinking I'd screw in one on either side of the TV right behind it so it's not visible when looking straight on, and then tie two steel wires to the TV bracket and connect to each eye plate.

Two more right at the bottom, left and right side again, behind the existing TV cabinet and use these to secure the lower part of the cantilever stand to the wall.

What do you guys think? Will these be strong enough? Or would you use something else?

At the end of the day they're just to stop the cantilever from tipping over in case the little one knocks it over, but I do want it be very strong.

It's a brick wall plastered over so I should be able to get a secure fixing on it.

Thanks for any advice you can provide :D

Cheers

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

That will be so over engineered that your toddler will be able to swing on the tele. Normal cantilever tele support should have been OK but each to their own

Proudarse likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My telly is fixed to the wall with builders band.

Proudarse likes this.
  4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

What sort of music do they play

robertpstubbs likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

6. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply, appreciate it.

chippie I'm not sure if you're taking the mick lol.

Just wanted some advice on a suitable fixing and those marine eye plates looked the most appropriate.

Also came across this which might be more suitable as it's just two screws to deal with instead of 4 https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/5mm-stainless-steel-pad-eye-staple-plate/

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Proudarse likes this.
  8. Proudarse

Proudarse Member

Thanks Willy,

I've decided to buy a metal gate from Amazon which goes around the entire TV cabinet so that should do the job. If it doesn't then I'm going to wall mount everything and just be done with it. I don't like TVs wall mounted high as it's not comfortable viewing in my opinion.

If anyone else is interested in these gates then search Amazon for 'Safety Gate' or ''Fire Guard'.

Thanks all

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I know exactly what you mean. Our solution to our three youngsters dragging chairs over to the wall cupboards (to strip out the food) was to use a pub style picnic bench in the kitchen. It did the job. The dog ate the bits that fell through the slats but did wander round the house for several hours with some baked beans stuck to the back of her head.

Proudarse likes this.