Which fixings?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Alice cockerill, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Alice cockerill

Alice cockerill New Member

I have a mirror that i need to fix to an outside space. Its a brick walled garden with a section that has railings. its these railing that need to be covered with the mirror.
    The mirror will sit on directly against the railings so with brick work to eitherside.
    My initial plan was to fix beams (with brackets as in link below) in front of the railing that the mirror could then hang on to. Also to use angled brackets at the base just to take some of the weight of the mirror.
    my question is which masonry fixings would be suitable for the kind of brackets I require for example
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-heavy-duty-angle-brackets-stainless-40-x-60mm-10-pack/63368
    but the fixings i was going to use will not fit into the 5mm hole.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Kind regards
    Alice

2. Alice cockerill

Hopefully you can view picture.
    Many thanks

Attached Files:

3. Alice cockerill

Currently it is only held up via some rope. Also i have just noticed the railing are not in the middle of the brick on both sides, In fact on the right side he railings are almost flush with the wall.

4. Alice cockerill

I am not 100% sure regarding the back of the mirror but i think ply. I will need to double check.
    How long would the stixall take to set?
    Also i am not sure it would be possible to fix around all side to the wall, i think just the bottom, a small amount of the left and most of the right. Would that still be sufficient?

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Hi Alice
    Several ways to do this but first, nice idea, I’ve seen this done and in the right garden, looks great :)

2nd, is the mirror suitable for outside use as damp and rain will effect the silver backing and turn the mirror blotchy. Also timber frame/backing may rot in time

Anyway.....

I would batten the railings, front and back with the railings as the sandwich filling, drill through battens and secure with coach bolts and washers behind nuts

Bolt up nice and tight, if there are any horizontal bars on railing, place battens and bolts just above these to stop any vertical slippage (but if tight, unlikely anyway)

Size of battens and how many will depend on weight of mirror and how much clearance you need from bricks either side Use treated battens as outside

You can then fix mirror to battens by either screwing through face of frame or fix D loops to back of mirror and hang on battens, or use flush mounts (google if not sure) or loads of other hanging options

Will look great I’m sure :)

6. Allsorts

Allsorts Well-Known Member

Lots of solutions as Dave says.

Also good point - essential point - about weatherproofing it if it ain't already so.

The Stixall idea by the indisposed 'What The?' would usually set in a day - depends on how thick the beads. The idea is that the ropes/string take the bulk of the weight, but the Stixall will hold it steady and solidly. It's an 'easy fix not needing any real precision.

Dave's ideas are good if you have actual mountings brackets on the mirror itself which you can then use to mount the mirror on these fixed battens you've put on the railings.

An alternative is mount one or two horizontal battens (2x1s) to the ply back of the mirror, and for this you'd need a powerful wood adhesive such as Polyurethane ('Gorilla' glue) or a fully waterproof PVA or even Stixall itself. (Secret to a good bond it to roughen up the mating surfaces first using 80 grit paper or so, apply the adhesive following their individual instructions and then to place enough of a clamp or weight (careful!) on the battens in order to keep them in good close contact with the ply back (these adhesives will cope with little gaps, but best not to have 'em).

Then line up the mirror against the railings and mark where rails cross the battens - secure on with U-brackets from behind: u-bracket-500x500.jpg