Which Grout

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Chris_ach, May 5, 2022.

1. Chris_ach

Chris_ach Member

Hi

My shower leaked. I've re siliconed tray, glass etc.

Still leaking.

I've cut inspection hole in kitchen ceiling, waste pipe dry, brick wall wet.

I've moved direction of shower head away from wall. No leak, for few days now.

Therefore, believe water seaping in through the grout / tiles.

Ive bought diamond multi tool blade to dig out old grout, but my question is...

Was talking to someone the other day who recommended e poxy resin grout, would you recommend this, or any other grouts I should consider buying on Saturday to re grout once old stuff is removed.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Mixer tap leak around control knob or around water pipes if surface mounted. Water gets behind tiles and runs down the adhesive channels is one thing to look for

CGN likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

just use a decent trade grout.

have you got down to the silicon joint at eye level? Sometimes, there may be a tiny gap, but it looks sealed when looking from above.

4. Chris_ach

Chris_ach Member

Hi, thx for feedback..

Even though we've had three days worth of showers with no leak now, I thought that might prove not tap leak, otherwise would expect leak to be constant.

My next process of elimination is to re grout shower area, but I don't know a good grout from a bad grout, and looking for any recommendations for a strong water proof grout and what sealer to put over it... Or e poxy resin grout, anyone with experience of using this, as I believe this is super waterproof, and no sealer required over top of it....

5. Chris_ach

Chris_ach Member

Hi, yeah, your right, there was a pin hole gap, but I cut that section out, and re did, and now no leak over last few days, which is why I've ticked that box off, from a process of elimination perspective.

I pointed shower at that area for period of time, and no water coming through other side.

Thx for feedback

CGN likes this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

if the tiles are well fixed, the silicon is good, you don’t need epoxy grout. Just go to a tile shop or buy a well known brand such as Mapei from our hosts or any of the sheds

Chris_ach likes this.
  7. Chris_ach

Chris_ach Member

Super, that's great. Thanks for the reassurance. I'll do that.

CGN likes this.