Which is better Greenworks 60v or Dewalt 18v

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by abbotts, Oct 31, 2021.

?

which is better

1. 60v Greenworks

2. 18v DeWalt

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. abbotts

abbotts New Member

Hi,

We've recently moved to a property with land that needs a fair bit of work and then maintenance. We are looking at getting a pole saw, grass trimmer and an extended hedge trimmer. All electric and from the same supplier so to share batteries.

DeWalt 18v and Greenworks 60v are similar price ranges but a large difference in V obviously! Does this matter? Which is better?

We have large trees which are overhanging, garden areas which have been ignored completely and tall patches of nettles.

thanks in advance!

2. MDJT

MDJT New Member

What Wattage are the motors.
    Thats the indicator of power, however battery tools hardly ever tell you this for good reason.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

For gardening stuff I'd go with greenworks. Power tools I'm all in on dewalt.

Local forest festival / trade show I was playing on the Greenworks and Stihl stand as they are linked I was told. Jmo. Seemed well thought out and designed for the job

abbotts likes this.
  4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Green works are globe tools group based in Hong Kong. Stihl have a minority shareholding, who took over Viking a while ago now rebranding the green Viking products as Stihl now in orange instead.

Wayners likes this.
  5. techie

techie Screwfix Select

I had a Greenworks pole saw/ pruner thing. It was carp and is now gathering dust in my barn

6. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

What are your reasons for battery power? I’d love to think that they were a practical alternative but the battery life just isn’t there yet. Quotes of ‘up to’ 40 minutes mean running out of power halfway through a job or having to spend a fortune on multiple batteries in reality. Especially if you have as much land as it sounds. At the moment I’d still stick with petrol. Stihl for investment stuff and SGS Engineering for budget. Fully appreciate that you may have ethical reasons for not wanting petrol though.

quasar9 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Quite right , I never understand how battery powered equipment can compare in power to their mains or petrol powered equivalent. Convenient yes, practical too in some instances. Battery powered drill, angle grinder and perhaps a multi tool yes but garden tools no.

just think of it. As an example a typical lawnmower. A 40v 5 ah battery can theoretically supply 200watts for an hour. Even at the average quoted runtime of around 20minute that’s a 600watt motor. It mains equivalent is tropically has 1200/1300 watts motor. Most motors are around 95-98 % efficient.

8. abbotts

abbotts New Member

Ah yes. I can't seem to find a motor wattage for these. So would a higher battery voltage possibly indicate a higher motor wattage? I've now looked at chain speed for an idea of power and the Greenworks pole saw has 10.5m/sec which is slightly higher than a petrol pole saw of similar price at 10m/sec. The DeWalt pole saw only has 6.5m/sec. It also has a large chain pitch so a larger chain.

Links:
    https://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/greenworks-pro-gd60ps-60v-cordless-polesaw-bare-tool

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d..._-TOKEN2#product_additional_details_container

https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/pole-saws/120itk4-p/970515901/

We feel that electric is the future and do not want to invest in petrol. plus the smell gives us headaches. We are happy to just do a bit then recharge and carry on or do another day. I am just trying to work out what the difference in battery voltage means for the tool :)

9. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Totally understandable. The world needs early-adopters to invest and make the technology better and more affordable for the masses. If you’re happy with the short battery life then I’d just be sure to buy plenty of spares early on or ensure that they are available as copies on eBay and the like. Sorry I can’t add anything to your original question though.

10. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Wattage is Volts x Amps. You can achieve the same wattage by varying either. As an example you can have 18v x 2 amp = 36 watts. You can also achieve the same with 36v x 1 amp. As the current carrying capacity of a conductor (wire) is proportional to its square area, low voltages means high current for a given wattage. Thick wires are expensive and tricky to wind hence manufactures going for higher voltages over time, from 12v to some now touching 40v to reduce need for heavy gauge conductors.

however, you can’t tell the wattage of the motor unless the manufacturer tells you . You can’t tell anything from the chain speed either, as this will be geared to match the torque of the motor and the working load on the chain.

that said, brushless motors are polyphase and fed off variable frequency electronics drivers and can generate very high power with huge torque when compare to simpler brushed DC motors, but limited by the capacity of the battery.

11. abbotts

abbotts New Member

We have now also looked at some Makita split shaft tools that use 2 18v batteries at once. They claim to have a 600 wattmotor does this seem powerful enough for a pole saw/pruner?

12. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

While some manufacturers have veered towards 40v batteries for their higher powered machinery, Mikita has decided to stick to 18v and use two batteries to get 36 volts for some high powered devices. Assume for the time being it’s 600watts and two 18v 6amp / hour batteries will give 216watt/hour. That means it will run 216 /600 * 60 = 21.6 minutes max run time. In reality more like 20 minutes . Is this enough time for your use ? Unless you have more batteries and fast chargers. Unlike drills and impact drivers which run for a few tens of seconds, a pruner will run continuously for many minutes at a time.