which multi tool

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by leicester builder, Nov 21, 2013.

1. My dads mentioned a few times he wants a multi tool, so looking to buy him one for christmas. Its not something Ive ever used so not sure what to look for and couldn't find much on the net about peoples opinions of them, does anyone have any recommendations, everything I do find points to bosch , but do I look for different power, number of accessories, battery or plug in . Any advise appreciated

2. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Fein are the benchmark when it comes to multi cutters and are top quality with plenty of blades available, however they come at a premium of around 50-100% additional cost over the likes of Bosch depending on model, it ultimately will depend on how often it will get used and what for? They are the sort of tool that once you've got one you'll find more and more uses for, if it's going to get alot of use then I'd recommend the Fein or if not Bosch, however for occasional use even the lower end Erbauer etc makes aren't that bad, although with Fein and Bosch there tends to be more cutters available and easier to find, with the cheaper makes you can use bosch or fein blades but require an adaptor.
    As for battery or mains, personally for me if it's a tool that I won't use a hell of a lot I'll just get mains, it's normally cheaper and although in certain circumstances can be a pain , for how often it may get used isn't worth worrying about, so again if it's going to be used lots, cordless will be handy.

FatHands likes this.
  3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

battery or mains??
    always buy a full kit as this is cheaper than buying seperate
    or buy a tool and a generic blade set for around the £30 mark that wont be as good[wear out quicker ]but 30% off the price
    argos do several machines battery and mains
    what named [non own make] battery tools does your dad have??

4. My dad works for me, so uses all my tools which are all makita 18v lithium ion. But I'm wary of using battery as I have the makita jigsaw which uses up the battery quite quick. I don't tend to touch the cheaper brands that you get in the likes of argos as there usually cheap for a reason, and you get what you pay for. I had looked at fein RW but was scared by the price, was considering getting him a makita as I use them a lot and can usually trust the quality but also had bosch as the other option. I notice screwfix had a dewalt one on what looks like a good offer, but I'm usually worried with dewalt as they can do top notch stuff or poor quality stuff in equal measures

5. DickieFox

DickieFox New Member

I bought the Makita multitool bare due to have plenty of the 18v batteries, then purchased a random assortment of blades from ebay for around £30. Been using it for the last 12months or so and had no problems at all. Main uses for me are cutting floorboards up to gain access to pipes, nice to be able to do this with creating very little damage to the boards. Also used to cut copper pipes in locations where a pipe slice wont fit and cutting neat holes in plasterboard to locate pipe leaks. And finnally used it this week to remove old grout where it worked brilliantly, took less than and hour to remove all grout from an entire shower.

6. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

If you don't want to spend to the extent of the fein but want bigger brand then personally I don't think there's much in it between dewalt, makita or bosch. I've tried the new dewalt and feels pretty good, I also prefer the trigger switch on it rather than the top switch the others have, the led light is also quite handy, have a bosch myself and no problems with it.

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have the bosch blue 10.8v and its a great bit off kit as well as the oscillating saw i have the angle dril 'drill driver 'hammer drill 'recip saw''torch and inspection camera so great if you want to extend your kit
    you can now get 2ah and 4ah batteries for the bosch costing £35 and £92 respectivly