Which nail type to fix floorboards?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by two by one, Nov 10, 2005.

1. two by one

two by one New Member

I have about 25m of standard flooring to fix. If I used a nail gun what type are the equivelent of 2" cut nails? Thanks.

2. ­

­ New Member

Annular ring shank. However, we always screw down flooring, much better and no creaking.

3. Jim

Jim Guest

In the old days it used to be flooring brads (nice and blunt so they don`t split the boards) but now anything goes :(

4. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

Not quite sure what you mean by standard,if you mean chipboard flooring i would agree with verycleverman and screw down.if you mean 5"x1" softwood t&g,i usually use 60mm losthead nails(sorry for mixing imp&met)or if useing nail gun i think there is a 64mm ring shank .hope that helps.

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

floor boards only tend to start creaking after they have been taken up once and refixed. ie plumbers and electricians.

ring shanks are quick and easy effective AND the floor boards dont squeek because the ringshanks dont move

"screw floorboards down" used to be a way of stopping loose floorboards creaking (SCREWING IS A REPAIR JOB)

Unfortunatly this repair mantra has been repeated so often that people now believe floorboards HAVE to be screwed down

just watch the replies telling me i am wrong

6. ­

­ New Member

Yes, I was refering to sheet material when I said screw it down. (chipboard or ply t&g)

As for ordinary softwood floorboards then annular ring shank is ok

7. ­

­ New Member

We screw all our flooring (always chipboard or ply t&g). You can see the board being pulled into the joist undulations which no nail could ever do.

It's these 'gaps' where the joist hollows out, that can be the start of a creak. As that bit of floor is walked on the weight of the person pushed the floor down to the joist. The creak can be the board sliding over the nail shaft. This cannot happen if the deck is screwed down.

It costs slightly more to screw down a floor but we budget for that.

8. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

your posts too black and white

nailers can and do pull floorboards onto the joists if you set the nail deep (just exactly the same principal as your screwing method)

try fixing floorbaords without walking on them.

screws can also cause a gap

9. two by one

two by one New Member

This is standard 6 x 1 whitewood flooring over joists, butted together. The trad way of doing it is flooring brads, as the finish is paint I thought using a nailer might be neater.

10. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

DD, I wont disagree with you, indeed ringshanks used to be used a lot on chipboard floors. But personally I now screw them down, and never get a complaint.

Woody

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ok my thoughts on the subject;)

nails where always used because they where cheaper and quicker and done the job fine within required standard

nowadays the cost differential is virtualy nill with powertools
    so you can choose the method that best matches the material and all future uses unless specified differently
    in other words you would nail pine floor boards down either blind or in neat rows

or your oak would be blind or screw and plugged
    they may be covering with a fitted carpet but youve got to fit allowing for the boards to possibly be exposed at a later date

traditionaly pine was a poor mans wood and would not be on display [unless you were to poor to cover]

sheet material should be screwed but nails are exeptable

further consideration are will hammering crack or bring down the celling

big all

12. two by one

two by one New Member

So 60mm ringshanks by hand or machine? Brads sometimes splinter the wood, and because it will be seen I want to do whatever is neat- and fast!

13. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

if you have a paslode gun ,you can get a "no-mar"tip that protects the wood from any unsightly marks.nail gun would definily be the quickist way,