Which new cordless drill to buy

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by AliT, Aug 8, 2016.

1. AliT

AliT New Member

I am looking to buy a new cordless drill to replace my 10 year old Black and Decker cordless drill. I plan to only use it for home DIY and have a budget between £100 to £120. I can see lots of good offers on screwfix and cannot decide on a Bosch, DeWalt or Makita.

I have had some advice from friends that Makita is a good make and should also look at battery greater then 2.0Ah Li-On battery.

Here is a my selection from looking ScrewFix website, cannot decide?
    1. BOSCH GSB 18-2-LI PLUS 18V 4.0AH - £99
    2. MAKITA DHP456SMIJ 18V 4.0AH LI-ION LXT CORDLESS COMBI DRILL - £119
    3. DEWALT DCD776D2SF-GB 18V 2.0AH LI-ION CORDLESS COMBI DRILL with 2 batteries - £119
    Also should I get a Brush Motor? which one of these are Brush motor?

I am not sure which one to get or would you recommend another product within my price range and DIY requirements. Maybe a 2.0Ah would be good for home DIY.

Please advice as I plan to buy with the next 7 days to start new projects at home.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Makita 10.8V twin kit, ITS do the impact driver and hammer drill for £100.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got the BOSCH GSB 18-2-LI PLUS 18V, very good drill, like the led light, also the drill isn't too heavy.
    I bought mine elsewhere, on offer with two 3 amp batteries, but if you google you can find it with two 2 amp batteries for a extra £14.

5. AliT

AliT New Member

Yes the Bosch looks like a good buy

6. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I bought the Bosch last year for £89 each with a 3A li-on, battery charger and in hardcase on one day sales from Screwfix. Got 2x of them and they work great.

A few week ago, added a Bosch 18v impact driver with a 4A Li-on into the set.

Not sure on the impact driver, but the other ones have the brush motor. I can see the sparks flying out from the holes at the back end of the drill when triggered.

Brilliant piece of kits.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What impresses me is how long the 3A batteries are lasting between charges.
    Have also have added the 18V GKS18VLIN 165mm circular saw to the collection.

8. Barry John Corr

Barry John Corr New Member

Hi there I would recommend cordless drill, the Dewalt XR DCD 776. Especially great for all types of home DIY. Its also very affordable.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Brushed motors are fine for most uses. Yes brushes wear out eventually but brushless motors are more complex and more expensive. Diy takes a long time to wear brushes out. Two 2ah batteries are better than one 4ah. I have a Bosch 18v with 2x2ah and the second battery is always charged long before the first has run out.

KIAB likes this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think I've only worn out 1 set of brushes in 25 years, the drill becomes obsolete first.

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y. Never worn brushes out yet.