Which new panel van?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ukwoody, Nov 9, 2005.

1. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Hi all, I've deliberatly posted this in this forum to get a bit of wider feedback (hopefully:) )

Next year I shal be replacing my trusty old R reg ****** with a gleaming newer one. But which one?
    I cant afford to buy brand new but am looking at a 2 or 3 year old one.

It must have at least 3.3 mtrs internal length (for worktops) and idealy be a semi hi top, and diesel.

So Ford ****** again? - Reliable, parts are cheap and easy to get, but very little in the way of extra's as standard and getting old in design (despite face lift)

Vauxhall/Renault Movano/traffic etc. very nice to drive, but parts are expensive (I beleive). Lots of extras

Peugeot/citroen/fiat boxer (Or is it the expert?) lots of extras, reliable, cheap.

What have you got /friends got, whats econonmical? what reliable what would you recommend?

By the way, Mercs and VWs are out - way too expensive and not in right size.
    Woody

2. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

I've got the Nissan Primastar LWB(Renault Trafic with a nissan badge on it).

It's a 54 reg, so its now about 14 months old.

Parts don't seem expensive. Genuine Renault front pads at around £40 a set. I know because the parts dept of the Nissan/Renault dealer I bought it from let me do a straight swap for some new genuine renault pads I had for my old 1996 trafic (that I picked up from ebay for £10), which were the same price "We get though loads of these older ones, so using yours won't be a problem" he grinned.

The LWB may even be a bit short for you I don't know. I can fit 8x4 sheets of plasterboard standing up or lying down. Mine has the bulkhead built in to it, though I had that fitted as an extra (well freebe actually).

If you do go for this type, look at the 4 years interest free credit that Renault are doing. I too was going to go for 2nd hand but I went for new after looking at the 2 year interest free offer I saw.

CC

CC

3. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

i drive the new style transit MWB with the 125ps front wheel drive in the 330 payload.

Out of the vans I have used i prefer those with a dash gear change - the bozer/relay gear change is almost cluchless its so smoth however these vans seem prone to dents. The transits last forever and are cheap for parts however the comfort level is poor compared to the likes of the relay,sprinteror master/traffic.

Paul

4. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Gard, that does seem a problem with the boxer etc, the walls do seem very thin, but I must admit the comfort level looks nice.

CC, it's certainly worth thinking about intrest free. ta.
    Woody

5. panlid

panlid New Member

cc, your desperate for someone else to look as bigger tw** as you buy getting a newy arnt you?

6. ­

­ New Member

What's wrong with buying new if the deal's right?

7. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Hi Woody,

I just bought a Peugeot Boxer 1.9 Diesl. Now If im honest it is an exceptionaly cumfy van to drive and it tootles along the M1 with great ease. I do around trip of nearly 180 miles a day 4 days a week and I love the drive. However there is a BUT! Im constantly looking at the fuel gauge as it seems to like the tast of diesl.

Apart from that I have no complaints with it.

Hope that helps

8. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

umm, I've heard a similar comment before about the boxer and fuel, but I'm not sure if it is just that van, or if they are really about all the same in that class.

Any one else?

Woody

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Hi Woody, how many miles a year do you do?

I do very few miles a year because I'm too lazy to travel a long way to work so I found that hiring a vehicle with cotract hire to be the cheapest way for me.

It costs me £213 + VAT per month for a Citroen Relay LWB High roof. It comes with all the usual bits, leccy windows and mirrors, remote central locking etc.

Just a though. Also I get a new Van every four years.

10. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Thanks bstyle. I'm really not sure. I too will not be doing heavy milage, but I'd be afraid of damaging the van I think. What happens if you put loads of dents and dinks in it? (Not that I'm suggesting I do!)
    Also. does that price cover servicing etc?
    Woody

11. Get a transit Jumbo, LWB SHR, or HR. 4.2 metre internal load length, 1.8 metre internal height. loads of room for worktops, your family, dead mother-in-law.

relitivelt cheap to acquire. Shop around

As for extras, you get nothing for free. If you want CD, electric windows, mirrors, etc, you pay for them

12. Get a transit Jumbo, LWB SHR, or HR. 4.2 metre internal load length, 1.8 metre internal height. loads of room for worktops, your family, dead mother-in-law.

relatively cheap to acquire. Shop around

As for extras, you get nothing for free. If you want CD, electric windows, mirrors, etc, you pay for them

13. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Bob, I'll need a big van to carry your replies in.LOL

14. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Oh Hi sid, how are you?

On the basis of new vs old, I know some people who spend so much on vehicle maintenance per month that it would pay them to take out a loan and buy something much better or even new.

My Landrover is getting that way....

CC

15. ­

­ New Member

> On the basis of new vs old, I know some people who
    spend so much on vehicle maintenance per month that
    it would pay them to take out a loan and buy
    something much better or even new.

I have to agree. A new van also looks professional. Too many builders are driving around in old tatty ex B/T Transits, you look like a load of pikeys!

(flame shield ON) lol

16. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

I must agree. one of the reasons I'm looking for a new van is mine is beginning to look quite tatty, and image does matter. Around here (admitedly quite a poor area) one or two of the guys have vans that reall should have been screpped years ago! It makes me wonder what their work is like if they take so little pridie in what is their main image.

Woody

17. panlid

panlid New Member

hello cc,i would just like to say that i agree with woody 100% about tatty vans. thats why 2 months ago i paid £7000(no vat)on a 53 plate lwb hi top van in mint condition. just had it all sign written and the boys over at http://www.trustedtradesmen.com/forum/default.asp
    will tell you how proud i am. i want to reiterate that i would only buy new if i was doing lots and lots of miles, and even then i would have to have my arm twisted. ******'s run for ever it is only the bodywork that you need to watch. this being my second ****** i know the areas to look for. like under the wheel arches right in the lip. i make sure i put a glove on and scrape any mud out when i wash it as most vehicles have a build up leading to rust. also when i wash it i use a dry cloth to dry all the skins on the doors internally as well. round the bottoms of the doors.
    anyway enough of my weekend activities. i lead an exciting life dont i?;)

18. panlid

panlid New Member

forgot to add that as i own it outright in 4 years if i look after it i will sell it for maybe £3000. my last one i paid 3 for it and sold it 4and a half years later for 1300. now do you get that on contract hire?

19. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Cor blimey, 'ere go steady Sid, actually agreeing with me. Must be the weekend ;)
    Woody

20. panlid

panlid New Member

just see what can happen when you talk sense;)