Which Part Do I Need Part To Plumb In Cooker?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by diydaze, Aug 10, 2018.

  1. diydaze

    diydaze New Member

  2. furious_customer

    furious_customer Active Member

    Is he not going to come back and re-fit the cooker?

    I try to DIY everything I can, but I would never ever ever touch a gas appliance.
    (I know you haven't said that is what you are going to do)

    Even if I was 99.99999% confident that I could do the job correctly, that means a 0.00001% chance that I could cause real harm (fatal) to my family/neighbours and that is far too high a risk for me.
  3. The Teach

    The Teach Well-Known Member

    Ask the engineer back to reconnect the gas cooker,its not really a diy job :)
  4. diydaze

    diydaze New Member

    Hi, I don't want him back since he lied to me. If a cooker is just unplumbed for something like cleaning behind etc, it can be plumbed in by someone who is not a registered engineer. I'm sure I can do it myself, it's a simple bayonet fitting, the cooker has been regularly tested and is safe. I just need the part. If I can't do it, I'll call someone.
  5. furious_customer

    furious_customer Active Member

    What is the source of this information?
  6. diydaze

    diydaze New Member

    I looked at numerous sites online which all say the same thing
  7. furious_customer

    furious_customer Active Member

    I think this is probably the only source of information that should be trusted :-


    I think this is the legislation that the HSE brings prosecutions under and they have successfully jailed people in the past for defective fitting.

    Even if the fitting contained a manufacturers defect which was not obvious to you, full liability still rests with you.
  8. The part you need is referred to as a "Gas Safe Plumber".
  9. candoabitofmoststuff

    candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

    If you have that hose, and it's already connector to the cooker, and you have that bayonet fitting, and it's already connected to the gas supply... Then you don't need a tradesman to do it... You just connect it yourself. It's a bayonet fitting, just like a lightbulb, (albeit that there is alittle more resistance in the "springy" part of the gas fitting.

    Not only is plugging that hose in is something that's not only as simple as it gets, but, as far as I'm aware, actually permitted for a user to do themselves.

    I'm intriqued as to what is was that he took away?


  10. diydaze

    diydaze New Member

    OK, I didn't know I could get in trouble for even someone else's mistake F.C, so I will get a professional in to do it. Thank you to you and everyone for the good advice!

Share This Page