Which plaster to use before tiling ?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by highlander7, May 7, 2021.

1. highlander7

highlander7 New Member

Our tiler will be tiling two walls in our bathroom in a couple of weeks time over a bath and shower over it.

I have removed the old tiles from the walls leaving big areas where the plaster came away leaving brick wall but other areas where it's ok. I've cleaned it up as best I can and bonded with pva/water mix.

Strap/plasterboard isn't really an option as that would bring the main wall out too far and even the 685mm wide bath wouldn't fit before the door opening (narrow bathroom).

I'm not confident about dot/dab plasterboard.

So, can you tell me which type or types and makes of plaster I should use to fill the gaps please ?

I'd then use a straight edge and paint with a bonding agent - should that be SBR, acrylic, PVA (which isn't waterproof if wet though), something else ?

I looked on various sites and also youtube and got varying ideas so just am not at all sure what's best.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

use Tile backer board/aquapanels

3. highlander7

highlander7 New Member

Thanks I-Man but the problem is that I don't have enough space to strap the wall then attach backer board and the requirement is for tiles, not aquapanels. There's only 690mm from wall to door and we bought a 685mm wide bath; removing plaster vertically for the straps still wouldn't allow enough space I'm afraid.

One option which may seem unconventional (or perhaps not recommended ?) would be just to strap and board above the bath with the bath fitted against the wall then tile from the bath up ?

Thanks