Which pocket hole jig to buy

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by diy_nixy, Sep 15, 2015.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And tools, Rockler is one I would like to see over here.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think you might be on shaky ground there bearing in mind the Industrial Revolution was in the UK and the Egyptians were woodworking thousands and thousands of years before the USA even existed. Have you put your head inside any British cathedrals. That's pretty impressive work!

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Why don't you buy a tenoner?

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

They do import a lot of European machines now. The weekend warrior is big business in America.
    They also have dedicated traditional woodworking shops on the high street which you don't see in the UK.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I have a tenoner jig on my slider.
    It will do a 40mm deep tenon with the dado and 100mm deep with the saw blade.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Good for you.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've always wanted a 'Woodrat' jig wonderful bit of kit, will make any joint in the book, even secondhand they are making silly money on Ebay:(.

http://www.woodrat.com/

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I watched the video on the WR900.
    He's using scrubbing brushes as feather boards. Simple and effective.
    I thought his fingers came close to the cutter a few times with the line of sight blocked with a table. He made a set of finger joints using the "picture" of a single finger and I was surprised it fitted first time.
    The accuracy is dependant on sighting the pencil lines. Unlike a dovetail jig where the router accurately follows the fingers.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You need to see a demonstration of the jig in use, they use to do day courses, it's amazing to watch, it's difficult to set pencil lines out wrong,it's not complicated to set up, when I tried one, the dovetails joints I made actually fitted perfectly to my surprise.
    It can make virtually any joint in the book & from any century, take angled dovetails once jig is set you can duplicate hundreds all identical all will fit each other perfectly.

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

This is my tenon jig that I knocked together last weekend and some walnut off cuts with the remaining angled tenons. It features positive stops and a micro adjuster accurate to 0.01mm. A single lever movement allows fast repeatability.

[​IMG]
    And its first project completed on the Hammer C3 31 combination machine....

[​IMG]

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looks good, got a front view.

Lovely stool:)

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Powermatic have just developed a new tenon jig....

Looks great but you have to turn the piece to do the second cut. Seems like I'm ahead on the R & D side.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nice, but I can do that just as well with my not so posh Dakota Tenoning Jig, £50 new, got mine for a tenner off Ebay:).

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

That's a proper bargain KIAB. How is it working out?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Found it OK, but I need a better table saw with a deeper channel for it to run in,plus I need more space to set up table saw& try the jig properly.
    The Dakota Jig, has had some good reviews, like them over at Rutland Tools.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I might have a look on ebay for one. cheers

17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I thought you was more into big 1/2 ton wadkin tenoners?

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Troll..............and stalker.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  19. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Thanks mate.

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

No problem.