Which satinwood paint for DIY

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by xyz123, Jul 9, 2020.

1. xyz123

xyz123 New Member

Hi, need some help please. I need to paint many doors, skirting, stair etc in the house.

These are currently painted in old gloss which is yellowing and we want a satin finish. I will lightly sand the wood but what paint is recommended these days?

I saw johnstomes have a new paint called aqua guard along with older aqua satin. Or go with dulux diamond... I am looking for something that's easy to use for DIY user and ideally don't want to be doing this job again for next 5 years.

Thanks for your help..

fff likes this.
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Crown Fast Flow for ease of use, primer/undercoat followed by either 2 coats of satin or gloss. ;)

Hans_25 likes this.
  3. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Astramax I purchased Crown Fast Flow on your recommendation and I have to say it is wonderful stuff. Quick question, instructions on the tin say 1 coat of primer/undercoat and 2 coats of top coat, but cant remember exact wording, if painting existing satin you don't need the primer/undercoat. Have you ever tried this and is the finish the same?
    Thanks

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That has some truth to it, a thorough wash down and sand over followed by 2 top coats will be fine as long as you are painting over an existing water base paint otherwise you will encounter adhesion problems. The FastFlow is a paint system which is a high build Primer/Undercoat followed by Satin or Gloss.

chillimonster likes this.