Which saw and grinder/router to cut quartz?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by MattL, Aug 7, 2019.

1. MattL

MattL New Member

Hi all,
    I have a 2nd hand quartz worktop I need to re-cut to fit our new kitchen. Approx 25mm thick. I've done plenty of research (there's lots of conflicting information out there!) and I think I need some kind of skillsaw or tile saw that can work wet, definitely diamond blades, coolant, and a good guide. I'm still unclear about what tool is best for rounding the exposed edge (either a router or grinder, but can't find one that works wet and not sure about what attachment).

It will be worked outside, no sink hole or tap holes needed (no drilling). Speed and 'long term use' are not factors, but cost is.

Can anyone point me towards specific tools please?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

This site lists manufacturers. Some of those will probably give good information on fabrication etc. Usually if names like those are searched the actual manufacturer's site will come up

https://www.mayfairgranite.co.uk/sh...MI7r3csK7w4wIVyrTtCh17eg3KEAAYAyAAEgIN6vD_BwE

Quick look found this one but there is probably better about

https://mediaassets.cosentino.com/docs/file/FD803B72-DE13-4F49-829C88C92E2C0714/MANUAL FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ENG - DEMO.pdf

One thing you wont want to do is breath any of the dust when you are working it. Routing tools I would assume must be diamond. There will be lots of tat about. Even with those I would suspect polishing would be needed afterwards. I think that there may be carbide stuff as well but a different rake angle to what is used for timber.

John
    -

3. MattL

MattL New Member

Thanks John, interesting document.

I'm still puzzled as to the correct tooling for the edges. Would a wood router be suitable?(with a diamond bit)?

All advice appreciated.
    Many thanks

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Most domestic woodworking routers aren't big enough to drive a stone cutting router bit

5. MattL

MattL New Member

Yep, most videos I'm seeing on the internet seem to show an angle grinder should do the job. It's only for rounding the edge. Can pickya diamond profile bit for around£70

6. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

The quartz worktops are a composite but there is a lot of quartz in it and quartz is very hard stuff. There are profiling bits on ebay. Cheap 1/2 shank and not so cheap looking more like spindle moulder tooling. Some time on google should bring up some suppliers.

John
    -

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’ve cut them with my little Bosch 10.8v circular saw and a diamond blade. Plenty of water and just do 2mm passes.
    Edges on the one I did had a chamfer and I used my cheapo diamond chisel sharpeners - the red, yellow, blue ones!