Which Shower Pump Should I Use?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Brian McLaughlin, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Brian McLaughlin

Brian McLaughlin New Member

Hi,

Looking for some advice on which shower pump to use. I am have a low pressure, gravity system, and i would like a more powerful shower in the en-suite.

The hot water feed comes from the hot water tank in the airing cupboard on the upstairs landing and the cold feed to the shower comes from the loft tank. Some of the info i have read states that you should only use a single impeller if your cold is mains pressure.

Am I OK putting single impeller pump in the airing cupboard to boost the hot water given that the cold supply is not from the mains? will this result in an imbalance in the hot and cold feed that would affect the function of a thermostatic mixer bar type shower?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

You will have a total imbalance and you could end up pusing hot into the cold system. You must use a twin impeller pump.

Heat and Brian McLaughlin like this.
  3. Brian McLaughlin

Thanks Mike,

The problem I have is that the cold feed runs across the loft floor and drops straight into the bathroom, the hot runs under the landing floor and then up to the shower. The only time the pipes are close to each other is at the shower valve.

I would need to reroute the cold feed through the airing cupboard to use a twin impeller pump. Is there anything else I could do?

4. kevinbaldy

kevinbaldy Member

[​IMG]Need a set up like in drawing (just for demo)

5. Brian McLaughlin

Thanks Kevin, this is what I suspected I would need to do.

Just a thought, Could i use a power shower run from the ring mains as another option?

6. kevinbaldy

kevinbaldy Member

No sorry can not be done, not from cold mains

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You also might be best using a negative head (or universal) pump due to having cold pipe going back over loft and down to shower valve.
    Best getting a plumber to do it all properly in copper pipe, neatly bent using bending machine and clipped.
    Full flow lever valves on hot from cylinder and cold from cold storage tank. And obviously all to MIs

8. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Also, and I'm speaking as a DIYer, so wait for confirmation from the pros...
    If you have a pump onthe hot you might be in danger of bringing air in, (which won't be good for the pump), unless you have a surrey flange, or similar supplying hot from the tank to the pump.

I'll get me coat!

Regards,

Cando

9. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Yes -could use the type of shower that will pump your existing hot and cold supplies. They use much less electricity so I believe don’t need a dedicated power supply like a traditional electric shower that heats the water.