Which Tile Adhesive

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by OakMark, Nov 3, 2009.

1. OakMark

OakMark New Member

Hi

Laying ceramic or marble tiles over the builder layed vinyl tiles.

My question is which make of ready mix adhesive is best for the job?

Many thanks
    Mark

2. JC Tiling Services

JC Tiling Services New Member

i am assuming that you are talking about vinyl floor tiles, simple answer is NO ready mixed adhesive, and your best bet is to take up the vinyl tiles,Although if they are stuck firmly to the floor ( i.e no peeling corners etc) you could fix your ceramic tiles to this.Not the correct way of doing it tho.Get those old tiles removed then re-tile mate

3. tic tic

tic tic New Member

with jc get them lifted.
    bagged addy as well.
    what substrate is it concrete/timber?

4. OakMark

OakMark New Member

Thanks for the reply, how would you recomend removing the tiles?

Its a very small area which is why i was going to use ready mix any suggestions?

And the base is concrete, do i need to do anything to the base prior to fitting?

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Mark

5. JC Tiling Services

Thanks for the reply, how would you recomend removing the tiles?

Its a very small area which is why i was going to use ready mix any suggestions?

And the base is concrete, do i need to do anything to the base prior to fitting?

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Mark

try a heavy duty floor scraper, or failing that try a heat gun and wide bladed wall paper scraper.
    powdered addy is best,its also cheaper from a tile distributor, no need to do anything to floor prior to tiling

6. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

once tiles come up see how loose the sub floor is if its dusty just hoover it the give it a neat bal prime coat ;) if you have ny divots just fill them with you rapidet and allow it to dry then prime and tile!
    and your addy will depend on wether the tiles are Ceramic or Marble! :)

7. tic tic

tic tic New Member

with b.a.fly ere
    prime floor with sbr or apd this seals any dust/dirt and acts as a bonding agent for ur addy..u dont want dust/dirt contamation ur addy.

8. OakMark

OakMark New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

What should i use to bond the floor?

9. tic tic

tic tic New Member

bal sbr
    across floor then when dry up the floor will take u about 30-45 min then tile away mate ;)

10. JC Tiling Services

i know you are probably aware mate, but some people just dont realise until its to late, work yourself back to your entrance/exit door.Dont want to get stuck in a corner when the tiles are down lol

11. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

and we still dont know what your laying!?

12. OakMark

OakMark New Member

I have no idea what i'm laying untill she tells me, i guess it would be something expensive does that help. LOL

13. JC Tiling Services

well its not looking like you are going to be fixing ceramics lol