Which Trusted Trader

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Comlec, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Anyone got any experience with this?
    Currently reviewing some of my marketing spend so would be interested if anyone has info on returns from using the Which scheme (or are others better/worse).
    I'll take as read that many in here think it is just another scam, so no need to post if that's what you think.

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I see these schemes as empty promises of work, they take your money and smile all the way to the bank. Their is no better recommendation than that which comes from a satisfied customer.

longboat likes this.
  3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Not very helpful that Bob. Maybe a valid opinion but what I am looking for actual experience or evidence.

Magicspark likes this.
  4. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

One of my good mates has a small house bashing spark firm. He’s a member of checkatrade and told me he’s had 17k worth of work this year from it that he knows of. He paid £800 to become a member so looks like a very good return on investment. He said the cons are you spend a lot of time quoting for timewasters or people who are only after the cheapest quote and you have to put some effort into keeping feed back up and updating content on your profile to stay high up in the rankings.

5. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Thank you @Magicspark, I'll take a look at that scheme too.

Magicspark likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My Builder

7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Yes it is just my opinion, but I have seen similar promises made in all fields with the expected results, if the work is not out there these schemes mean nothing. We should be aware that these schemes are not selling you, they are selling themselves to you, you are the customer. They are advertisers and marketer's who will make promises and use a positive spin to obtain a sale. Yes I am a sceptical old %^$, but I have seen at all before.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Why not have a go with google adwords. You set up a simple website, and then you could set up say an ad for "electrician +mytown". The way it works is you set a bid (like an auction) to get your ad shown when someone searched your keywords - typically 0.50 - £2.50/click and you set a cap per day, so you can keep a monthly budget in check. It's a bit complicated to get your head round at first, but very simple to operate. You can set up any combinations of keywords you want, so you could also e.g. set up "new consumer unit mytown". You always make sure you have exact phrase match, otherwise your ad can get shown just on "electrcian" and not specifically "electrcian + mytown".

Also, google support for adwords is very helpful. Of course you might not like the idea at all......Just a thought.

I will also say, a simple website with lots of keywords in the copy, will get shown through organic searches as well. Setting up a simple site if you don't have one, is very easy.

9. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Thank you for your advice but I already have an MBA so I fully understand marketing and sales methods I am also well aware of the necessity to design a website for SEO and the Google adwords offering.

So, back to my original question - does anyone have any experience of the Which scheme or similar?

TIA

10. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

A painter I know signed up to checkatrade the other year, cost was about £800 which was significantly cheaper than the local newspaper, he cancelled the following year because he was getting too many enquiries and turning work away.
    I was listed on 'which' some years ago when it was free, they simply had a facility where subscribers could write reviews on tradesmen in their area, I got maybe 3 or 4 calls over a two year period. 'Which' obviously spotted the potential revenue stream and set up the system whereby tradesmen paid to go on their list. Of course, your listing will only be seen by people who subscribe to which magazine (cost about 12 quid per month) so that diminishes your target audience substantially, whereas checkatrade listings will show up for anyone searching the internet for a sparky in Tunbridge Wells or whatever.
    I've no idea what the cost for tradesmen is on which.

WillyEckerslike and Comlec like this.
  11. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

An afterthought. The checkatrade user I mentioned operated in a medium size town in Cornwall, and he was likely the only checkatrade subscriber in that area so was automatically page one on Google. If he were in London, the checkatrade might well throw up thousands of names, worth searching sparkies in your town to see what checkatrade throws up (you might have well already done this).

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

No worries. Not everyone does. I'm S&M Director for an SME.

When I need a tradesperson it's
    1) word of mouth
    2) search and look at the website and use that to judge professionalism etc.

I have never, ever used any checkatrade type scheme as a customer and personally think that anyone on them isn't good enough to keep busy by word of mouth.

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I agree Rusty. A friend and neighbour of ours, (widowed) told me some weeks ago that she was waiting for someone to come and look at her washing machine which had stopped working, she'd found someone on one of those sites, not sure which one. Said she didn't want to bother me as knows i'm always busy. Anyway bloke came, didn't open the machine just said it's not worth repairing (about 8yrs old) but I can get you a new one at a discount, she said to him could it be the motor brushes (which i'd mentioned to her) and he told her no there are no brushes in there. Anyway, I looked and guess what, brushes worn well down, ordered a set online for about 2 quid and now it's running perfectly!

14. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

As a user, if I see anything other than the scheme provider be it which or any other, my thoughts are can't be much good if they need to be a member of one of those to get work, so would always look for a tradesmen who is not a member.

seneca likes this.
  15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The thing about getting £17k worth of work from an £800 investment is only relevant if a) the work made a profit and b) be wouldn't have had that volume of work otherwise. Offset that against the time wasters and the profile updates and it starts to look a little less attractive. I'm not saying don't use it, just that it's not as straightforward as first appears.

Jord86 likes this.
  16. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

I am in my local council Trusted Trader scheme and it gets me a bit of work.
    They council come out and check your business (after background checks).

It is quite good as there is more than one company of each trade in the scheme- when someone asks the landlord registration scheme or trading standards they refer the people to the Trusted Trader scheme run by the council so the clients are confident you have been vetted prior to them calling.

Comlec and WillyEckerslike like this.
  17. take no sheet

take no sheet New Member

On another forum,I read that trusted trader take 20% off your gross profit,so say you install a £1000.00 boiler for £500,they will take 20% of £1500 .00(£300.00),so you have installed for £200.00 plus mark up on the boiler.
    Regards,T