Which type of paint for bath panel?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Lamia Kholoud, May 2, 2019.

1. Lamia Kholoud

Lamia Kholoud New Member

Hi everyone,

What type of paint is best to paint a bath panel and boxing covering the pipe work around the edge of the bathroom floor?

Bath panel is made of mdf with mahogany effect veneer and the boxing is a mix of pine and ply wood painted in stained varnish.

I'd like the finish to be a light grey with a little sheen.

I'm not sure if water resistant bathroom emulsion or water based wood satin will do or if oil based wood paint will be best. I'm struggling to find oil based paint in my preferred colour.

If I prime with oil based primer and undercoat does the top coat have to be oil based too?

I've seen you can buy kitchen cupboard paint for veneer type surfaces, would this be appropriate?

I'm intending to sand all surfaces first.

This is all for a temporary fix, looking to refit whole bathroom in 2 years or so.

Thank you for any advice.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Temporary fix, forget oil paint products, sand the surfaces to remove any knibs etc and wash with sugar soap to get clean. Apply 1 or 2 coats of Zinsser Bullseye 123, this will provide a good key for the finishing paint such as Dulux Trade Quick Dry Eggshell (available in many colours) apply at least 2 coats, also a water based acrylic so wash brushes in water. Cost would be under £50 for all materials.

Eggshell has a low sheen level and is recommended to use in area's of high humidity.

Do not use water base paints over an oil base as you will have adhesion problems.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Hengist likes this.
  3. Lamia Kholoud

Lamia Kholoud New Member

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I've seen the Zinseer products talked about a lot here. What would be your 2nd choice of top coat after dulux trade eggshell? It's slightly more than I'd like to spend. There's a Johnstone's stockists near me which can mix colours, perhaps their acrylic would suffice?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Johnstone's Eggshell will do the job.

5. Lamia Kholoud

Lamia Kholoud New Member

Thanks for your help