Which Varnish?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jig1, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jig1

jig1 New Member

I have a staircase, spindles, handrails, door frames all in softwood and plan to clear varnish. Really not sure what varnish to go for, wonder how much better is Ronseal then B&Q own brand or Wickes?

Any advise would be good.

Thanks.

2. sambuca

sambuca New Member

I know people that you wickes , B&Q paints etc and say that they are good. Personally I dont trust them Dulux decorator Centre explained in their newsletter about 12 months ago the difference between the paints that they made for the trade which you buy in the trade shop and the lower quality paints they made for diy shops etc still named Dulux trade paint, I wish I had kept it as how they explained it made you realise that £20 a tin paint in a trade shop is superior to that sold for £15 in a diy shop.
    I like to use Rustins acrylic floor varnish for normal work like your proposing to do cant remember the price I think about £26 per 2.5 ltr but think about it if its hard enough to walk on it must be really good for spindles etc. It will make the wood slightly darker when you apply it ( thin the 1st coat about 25%) but being water based it does not yellow over time.

Sam

3. jig1

jig1 New Member

Thanks for the info, but as I had the decorator coming round I already bought the varnish. I ended up buying Ronseal Quick Drying Varnish. How does that rank?

4. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

That'll be water based so will leave the wood relatively unaffected - slight darkening only. Oil-based varnish (eg polyurethane) will give it a more mellow orangey shade which I personally don't like so good choice!

Level of gloss - if that's what you chose - won't be as high tho'.

No smell. Quick drying. Job finished more quickly.

5. jig1

jig1 New Member

Great so I got lucky then. I did not want yellow'ish, orangy finish, I never ever realized about the water based and oil based, I do now :)

I got the Satin, the missus does want a high glossy finish, so I guess again got lucky as the water based is less glossy anyway.

How many coats would you recommend?

6. devil's advocate

As many as it says on the tin...

7. devil's advocate

[Edited by: admin]

8. jig1

jig1 New Member

way above my head, I assume making fun of me or I am just confused.

It says 2 coats unless untreated wood then 3.

Appreciate the help either way.

9. devil's advocate

[Edited by: admin]

10. jig1

jig1 New Member

I see so I was right to be confused.

Was little point in getting the varnish as my decorator has let me down hasn't turned up, doesn't answer calls. GREAT now I need to locate a painter/decorator and a reasonable quote. FUN. Not happy was hoping this would be done by now.

11. Goldenduck

Goldenduck New Member

superior to that sold for £15 in a diy shop.

I've always wondered about that. Even "off the shelf" Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt etc??? (I'm not talking "Professional" or other Dulux retail stuff).

I find it hard to believe a company would sell an inferior product in EXACTLY the same tin as a superior product. Isn't there a law against that?!

12. Goldenduck

Goldenduck New Member

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. Was trying to quote Sambuca'a earlier post re: Dulux Trade.