Which water based gloss do you use?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by diy_nixy, Aug 15, 2018.

1. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Which water based gloss do you use? I've tried a few of them over the years but none really give a great finish - they always seems to be a little translucent. Probably because water is thinner than oil.

I still prefer water based gloss - easy to wash up, dries fast, smells less. Most of all, it doesn't yellow over the years due to reaction with UV sunlight.

Tried Wickes, Crown, Dulux.

Now thinking of trying Leyland.

(yes I always use a primer first for both painted and unpainted surfaces - Zinsser 123 is my favourite, again water based.)

John Whittaker likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Johnstone Aqua Gloss superb paint, as is their Aqua Satin which I'm using here on internal woodwork.
    Use a quailty synthetic paint brush, using Purdy & Hamiliton, also Hamilton Prestige short plie Felt 4" roller on the panel doors here.

Been buying my paint from 'The Paint Shed', it's cheaper than I can get locally.

https://www.johnstonestrade.com/product/aqua-water-based-gloss

http://www.thepaintshed.com/products/johnstones-trade/johnstones-aqua-gloss/c-24/c-135

And I've been using this primer undercoat,& found it very good.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-acrylic-primer-undercoat-2-5ltr/64719?tc=IA3

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Give Crown Fast Flow a try out, again from The Paint Shed, and it’s even on offer at moment

Think it’s min £75 order for free delivery but even if you pay for delivery, they’re prices are hard to match, let alone beat

I’m only diy but have switched over to mainly water based and have tried several brands over the years

As above, the Johnson’s, thought it was great until I tried the Crown Fast Flow

Used Leyland a few years ago and didn’t get on with it, way too gloopy. Ended up washing it down the drain :eek: but like most paint manufacturers, they’ve been tinkering with their water based recipes on and so maybe improved

As you’ve said, the more solid white the background ur painting over, seems to really help with the opacity of the finish as yep, certainly can be thin compared to oil based

I’ve been using around home Leyland Primer Undercoat, then the Crown Undercoat, then Crown Topcoat

Mainly Satin at home but used gloss at my mums. Lovely paint :D

4. John Whittaker

John Whittaker New Member

Hi tried Johnstones Aqua today after reading all the hype and I just can't get on with it,it drags and is very quick drying to quick for my liking ,yes watched all the videos and done as advised. They say put plenty on but it dries to quick to get it on in any sort of level and dries with too many brush strokes in it ,,even tried a little water with it but it made little difference,don't even think about going back to touch up or lay it off , it looked terrible when putting it on and made me feel angry because it wasn't going on right but when it had dried fully it did look a little better but it didn't make up for how it makes you feel when your using it ,did 5 ,6 panel doors today the first one with Johnsons, then did the next 4 with leyland trade gloss quick drying and the difference was like chalk and cheese,the leyland stayed wetter longer and laid down good enough to make you feel like your doing a good job and also you can go back to it and touch up without it looking like a a race track. I have used leyland for about 18 month now and I'm happy enough with it to use it , I personally don't think you will ever get a WB paint to act and finnish like the gloss of old (oil) but would love to be proved wrong .Not having ago at any one paint just telling it how I have found it, look forward to reading other peoples opinions ,cheers J DIY.... er :)

5. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Water based paints are the work of the devil. Dulux trade, oil base, can't go wrong.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nevber had a problem using the Aqua, important to use quailty synthetic brushes, I use the roller mentioned earlier, & lay off with a 3" brush where needed on panel doors.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

None of the above. Terrible paints imo. You need to try water base alkyd. Not an acrylic or a hybrid.

8. LEH

LEH Active Member

Benjamin Moore Advance is apparently the best thing currently. All satin in my house though so haven't tried, I'm still eking out my last 5L can of Sikkens Rubbol Satura BL, which is fantastic, apart from having to be super careful about runs. Still annoyed they discontinued it.

9. John Whittaker

John Whittaker New Member

any named paints to try Wayners...had a look and its something I havn't used.

10. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Oh dear heavens don't use Leyland. It's horrible muck. I threw the stuff I had out. You are far better sticking to Dulux. I have heard that Johnstone Aqua Gloss is good too.