Which way to lay laminate floor

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Across the long width same as the T&G, or front-to-back which is the shorter length? Windows are on the front of the cabin (left hand of the photo) but there will also be a window on the left hand side of the short wall in the photo, to be fitted. Was thinking of running laminate same as T&G...its Wickes Arreton grey, kinda grey oak finish laminate.

[​IMG]

CGN likes this.
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I usually run it towards a window or along longest length, so would run parallel to your floor.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

So along the longest length rather than towards the window...as I was going to do?

4. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I generally try and pay it parallel to the doorway so it looks straight as you enter a room, nothing worse than flooring looking wonky in a doorway

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Mmmmmmm, this looks like it could be a ManCave nearing completion ? If so, will there be a big tv and Atmos surround goin in latter ?

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

There is a big drum kit going in there :p

7. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Parallel to your floor. Was this supposed to be door? I'd hope they were parallel to the floor.

They say it's supposed to run towards the window. Personally, I try to ensure the doorway has a full board across it and jigsawed to fit in the casing[1]. But I've only done three rooms and it worked out that the window was perpendicular to the door anyway.

[1] my reasoning being the area by the door takes the most traffic and a single board acts like a keystone for the floor.

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

If that is really the case ? Then forget laminate anyway. You need to put down a good thick underlay and then carpet.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No, it was floor! :)

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No, it was floor! :)

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'll have a carpet rug/mat under the kit most probably.

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Which is how I was going to lay it ie parallel to the existing floor boards. That would also be consistent with btiw2's method of ensuring the boards run across ths doorway.

CGN likes this.
  13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

So not a proper dedicated Mancave then :D

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Oh I don't know, with HiFi and beer fridge too

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Gawd. For a minute I thought I was gonna have to come in a suggest 'grain side up!'

16. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Naaaaaaah, don't be silly...........................as long as the beer fridge is sorted and loaded......................grain side is irrelevant, anyone knows that :D

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That's not a bad suggestion, never would have thought of that?!