Whirlpool AMG189 Washing Machine failing to ratchet up to the final fast spin

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by goodtyneguy, Sep 24, 2013.

1. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Hi folks, a reasonably competent DIYER here (or at least a like to think so :)) hoping someone can kindly diagnose the problem

Washing machine goes through the wash cylce and into the spin dry cycle where it spins slowly but fails to get up to the final fast spin. Other half is currently having to spin it a couple of times more on the slow spins to get clothes dry.

What do you think folks?

Thanks

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Likely to be a loose wire at the motor. Loose wire, burnt wire, loose or burnt connector.

If you want to unplug it lift the lid, find the motor and check for tight connections and look around them for soot dposits at the same time. Remove and reseat spade and block connectors to reseat them.

Maybe you'll be lucky(as in part of the winding is not burnt out)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

is it belt driven ?

exactly what happens at the point in the cycle when it should starting the fast spin section ?

4. Mr. Handyandy

Seems that motor speed never increases.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Hi Sean,

Have n't got a clue if it's belt driven or not, it's a pretty old machine if that's any good.

I am informed by my other half that the normal spin dry cycle is a slow spin followed by a faster spin then a final super fast spin. What it does now is the slow and faster spin but does not get any further leaving water in the drum when it finishes.

6. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Thanks Andy, will take a look inside it this weekend or before if a get time.

"Lift the lid " I thought I would have had to take the back off to check the motor?

7. Mr. Handyandy

Lid should be the first thing you take off. Most likely access the motor there(not always-some are at floor level)Older machine, maybe you're right.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Hi gtg.

The only search result I get for an AMG189 washing machine is from someone with exactly the same problem as yours. He was asking about it on a forum run by Screwf... waitaminute...

So, what exact model is it?

Does it have an electronic or mechanical programmer? (Can you turn the t'knob ONE way only, and does it make a clicking ratchet sound as you do?)

If the machine behaves normally apart from the lack of fast spin, I would imagine it's either the programmer not getting to the 'fast' spin part, or possibly a spinning belt (but you'd hear the motor itself spin fast - do you?)

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If water in the drum the pump may be blocked or faulty, i assume that this is why its not getting up to full speed, there is normally a drain point cover located at the front bottom of this machine. undo the screw cap having a shallow tub or rags ready and give the impellor a spin.

10. Ooooooh, I like your thinking, young man .

11. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Thanks for the reply DA, its an old washing machine so that's probably why there is no other searche results. The programmer only turns one way, it does ratchet around automatically and the dial finishes in the place is should do when it completes the full wash and spin dry cyle. Will try Jitenders idea.

12. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Jitender you're right, there is a square shaped flap at the bottom left of the front casing which opens like a door to reveal a screw cap to acess what I believe houses a plastic water filter. Either that or the filter and the screw cap are all one thing. It's that long since I had the thing off I can't remember which it is now. I do recall that the last time I cleaned the filter we had a leak from this area for a while despite ensuring the thing was not cross threaded and then tighteneing the thing up very tight. I think after a while the hard water we have in my area must have formed a natural seal with the calcium in the water. I am dreading taking the think out again in case it does not seal properly again.

The other half is using the machine this afternoon but will give your recommendation a try when she's done. I'll stick a screwdriver in the hole and see if I can trun the impeller.

13. ARDLUI

ARDLUI New Member

I have seen this problem before,worn brushes in motor,worth checking.Cheers ARDLUI

goodtyneguy likes this.
  14. goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy Member

Thanks for the input ARDLUI, we're still limping along with it at the moment. We have been given a lightly used second hand washing machine by a relative. It is such a lot of hassle to pull out and work on this one in our very small cramped kitchen. It has long hoses which traverse through two units so I have decided to wait until this one goes completely before pulling it out to inspect. If it is not worth fixing then I'll just put the replacement in at the same time. Thanks for all the suggestions, will let you know what the result of my inspection is when it occurs.