white marble mosaic tiles... how hard can it be...??

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by dsf, Jan 3, 2009.

1. dsf

dsf New Member

hi there...

I'm a bathroom fitter and have been doing so for past 6 years... I take on the whole job so plastering, plumbing, fitting and of course tiling....

In 6 years I havent had to tile a whole bathroom in mosaics... just the odd border, feature wall etc....

however, now i am a bit nervous... i quoted to re do a guys bathroom before xmas to start mid jan... I quoted on the basis of white tiles (25x33) on wall... its 20sqm... he has now decided to buy white carrera marble mosaics on 30x30 sheets... apparently a random design (size of tiles)....

My question is... how much of a nightmare is it to tile a whole bathrrom in mosiacs on sheets.... any tips as i assume slippage can be a nightmare...

Please put my mind at ease.... oh and the tiles cost 3k... so mistakes wouldnt be wise...!!!

thanks for your help...

oh, one last thing... how much extra, percentage would you charge to tile mosaics as opposed to standard tiles...

thanks

2. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

How hard can it be?? lol. I've not tiled full sheet mosaics yet & wouldn't want to. I've ripped loads off the wall for replacement, that were fairly new.
    The main problem is mosaics follow contour of wall, so every lump & bump on wall shows on tile finish. Making your work look poor.
    Just a mosaic border tile can be hard enough to look right. It's your recommendation on the line if it goes wrong.

3. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

You'll need a good white adhesive, a good grout, a mosaic trowel, a sealer before and after tiling and a good wet cutter. It will take more time than standard size tiles and you'll need about 6 times as much grout as normal. It is doable but needs a bit more time and effort.
    You need to requote on this basis.

4. GKU

GKU New Member

Yeah , you definetly need to requote on this , normal wall tiles = £30 per sq mtr , Mosaic =£50 per sq mtr , use BAL mosaic adhesive and as said above you will need a LOT more grout than normal - rather you than me , its gonna be a right pain to get it looking good , good luck ;)

5. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

hope the walls are flat! :(

6. smithybora

smithybora New Member

I think what people have said above all count.

They are a nightmare to lay and to cut. I have tiled complete walls before and the worst thing i have found was flat walls. If you haven't got that. The adhesive comes through the tiles the more you press down on them, making it a nightmare to clean down after with all the little lines. Plus the tiles move more when trying to clean out the adhesive. Having adhesive showing through the grout can look as bad as the tiles out of line.

good luck.

P.s.

Jobs like that. I just put my i pod on and plod along all day. Its surprising how much you can do in a world of your own.

tony

7. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Yeah , you definetly need to requote on this , normal wall tiles = £30 per sq mtr , Mosaic =£50 per sq mtr , use BAL mosaic adhesive and as said above you will need a LOT more grout than normal - rather you than me , its gonna be a right pain to get it looking good , good luck

Just out of interest. I must be pricing my m2 tiling wrong.

I have just quoted for 200m2 of wall and floor tiling for 3k. Thats based on about £15 per m2. Its about 3 weeks work. So i think 3k is good for 3 weeks. £30 per m2 would be £6k. Must be doing wrong. LOL. :-0

8. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

I have just quoted for 200m2 of wall and floor tiling for 3k. Thats based on about £15 per m2. Its about 3 weeks work. So i think 3k is good for 3 weeks. £30 per m2 would be £6k. Must be doing wrong. LOL. :-0

Smithybora, I suppose it depends on if you include the materials in your mtr price or not, if its labour only then 15knicker a mtrs ok, but if you start adding BAL mosiac fix and grouts and trims into that your not gonna get a very good deal at the back end of the job after 20% tax and diesel and such!

9. smithybora

smithybora New Member

I suppose.

That price is just labour. Was just offered it, to refit out 2 new builds. Just not used to pricing for per m2. I normally price up per job. So still getting used to that side of it.
    cheers.

tony

10. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Your welcome ;)