White spots on underside of roof felt - wet/dry rot or just mould ??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tph1, Nov 15, 2006.

1. tph1

tph1 Member

Had a problem with condensation in my roof space and now discovered a small area of felt (about 10" across) with white spots. The white is not continuous, but sits in the pitted surface of the felt. (Probably no more than a big stamp's worth of area over the 10").

The face of surrounding timbers is slightly blackened in places (like light ink spots) but it certainly does not look serious.

Presuming the black timbers are just light mould growth, what could the white stuff on the felt be ??

2. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

I wouldn't worry too much about this white stuff, just clean it off

have you resolved the cause of the condensation?

3. tph1

tph1 Member

I wouldn't worry too much about this white stuff,
    just clean it off

have you resolved the cause of the condensation?

yes, bl**dy great big holes in the plasterboard (foil backed) & insulation for downlighters !!

Have now installed an extractor fan, am having the ceiling re-done, and wall lights fitted instead !

4. Bcountry

Bcountry New Member

Why not just address the problem that your roof space cant be adequaltey ventilated first?

5. tph1

tph1 Member

hi,

well I needed to check there wasnt a more serious problem starting - it needed doing properly anyhow. Guess I've just got to take the pain ! (time, mess & $$)