Who fits kitchens on their own?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by exeterman, Oct 3, 2015.

1. exeterman

exeterman New Member

hi, I am just curious how many of you fitters work on their own. im currently fitting for b&q as well as my own private jobs. Sometimes a second person is required on some jobs. Just wondered what the going rate is for a lad/apprentice or just struggle on my own. Any feedback would be great. Cheers

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what you do, 2 people is three times faster than 1. So your productivity should nearly triple providing good team work evolves. If you don't have the work load to justify getting jobs done three times faster then probably best you stay the lone ranger.

I'd never go out on my own and be a one man band. Plus when you talk to customes it nice to use the word "we" when referring to what you can take on and achieve in a day.
    I don't fit kitchens btw.
    I'm a formwork joiner.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

When I do kitchens I fit on my own. I have a plumber and an electrician that I use and on the odd occasion I need a hand I make sure that it coincides with them being about.

Everyone works in their own way. I like to schedule my working life to suit me so I often work 7 six hour days a week as it means I can spend much more time with the family. 5 long days means missing a lot. 7 short days means missing a lot less.

A lot of my time is spent in the workshop so I can be more flexible.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Only time I've ever needed an extra pair of hands was when fitting a worktop that had cut outs in it for the sink. (4.2m length and a mahoosive cut out for a double sink) Just couldn't (dare not) try lifting it into position on my own for fear of snapping the worktop.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I normally fit kitchens or anything precise by myself. If its something in a kitchen that's awkward or heavy my sons help me. If its upstairs my wife normally holds things ;)

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Just realised its Saturday ....... ;);););)

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Dirty boy!

8. exeterman

exeterman New Member

Thanks for your replies. I guess if there's enough work then 2 of can work together and get paid well. But as some kitchens don't always require tiling, flooring etc then working on my own might be my best bet, least I don't have the worry of finding extra work to cover costs
    I have a sparks that can always help.

9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

And what the F does that have to do with this post spamer

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Very little mention of sexes on this post but a whole lot of spam on yours.

11. johnny1

johnny1 Member

I fitted up to 3 complex kitchens a week on my own for many years and when timed against a very good 2 man team fitting the exact same kitchen in differing houses I was 4 hours behind on a 28 hour fit.

Fit price was the same on both jobs and that extra 4 hours left me not having to half my earnings as the 2 man team did. 28 hours later, same week I was the same again better off.

work alone ... it is an absolute no brainer and using a lad is not cost effective as they make enough mistakes to wipe out the benefits.

Takes time to build the skill speed and quality to work alone and you re right ...

No joiner bitting and batting on kitchens is ever going to achieve what a regular kitchen fitter working alone can.

Alone.. you control the entire quality of the kitchen fit and that is very important if you want to eradicate customer complaints and returns for faults and that falls into managing your time as well !

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Those two guys must have been chatting too much and smoking.

13. johnny1

johnny1 Member

Lets just say I watched many kitchen fitters come and go for years and all of them starting had to be fed the plinky plonky easy jobs where ever they came from as they just were nt up to the performance of what was expected and the two guys I spoke of were at the top of their game...

funny thing is, after a weeks holiday you noticed how slow you became the following week and how long it took to get back up to speed.

Judging by many tube videos there are many ways kitchen fitters do things and this video probably best represents how to waste your time and cost yourself money in pratting around with cornice in this manner.. Who teaches people to make this laughable attempt and why would anyone fit doors at that stage and exposing them to possible damage !!

just plain wrong !

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  14. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Hardly likely.
    You sound like you were/are at the top of your game though.

15. johnny1

johnny1 Member

Just on a money making mission !

just wondering how those two guys in the video would fit cornice to a link shelf that was set on top of units because of doors below it that left it needing the back cut off and needed to be mitre bonded to the link shelf to follow its natural run... if you get what I mean !

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

This might be you though, I don't know. Fast, efficient and attention to detail.

17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Also check this guy out.... He makes some pretty cool stuff. A future Sam Maloof mebbe?

18. johnny1

johnny1 Member

To follow up.. I called in at my old firm and they now employ 2 man teams for good reason. A lot of the staff have gone and I won't go into detail but the statistics over the years of what happens to one man fitters pushed to the limit constantly Is very shocking

19. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Company I worked for once never let you work alone. For safety reasons.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you're not doing the worktops it's OK but trying to fit a 4M worktop with a couple of cutouts...