who gets into trouble if...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by 40w bulb, Jun 17, 2008.

1. 40w bulb

40w bulb New Member

If a skip is placed on a public highway and a permit has not been issued for it, who gets the problems if something goes wrong, eg, someone walks into it or something falls off it. Is it the client, the builder or the skip company that get sued?

2. ecm

ecm New Member

If it's on-hire to you, it's your responsibility to get the highway permits sorted and to ensure the skip company provide and setup all necessary gear (lights, signs etc). Obviously, if you don't tell them it's going on a highway they will not provide the relevant gear.

I know, I've been caught out by a local council after some neighbours complained and I got a shirty phone call demanding I moved the skip.

:(

3. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

The skip company i use normally ask or I tell them wether it will be in private property or on the road.If it is on the road they normally charge a little extra to cover the levy imposed for placing it on the public highway.

4. trench

trench New Member

For the first 30 days the skip is the responsibility of the hire company, after that it becomes the responsibility of the person hiring it. That is why our council only issues permits for 28 days.

5. ecm

ecm New Member

Well I used to use a firm and I always paid them direct for the highway permits (issued by the LCC) only to get a call from the local council one day telling me to get the skip moved because it didn't have permit. Turns out the firm were well known for taking your money for permits and putting it straight in their back pockets!

I always sort my own permits now.