Who is correct?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Apr 13, 2010.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I heard from the kitchen company this morning as the customer had rung them to complain about the electrics. After speaking to them I rang the customer and she was going to report me to NAPIT. So I went over to see her and the other spark was there about to install a new fuseboard. I basically held my hands up and admitted I was wrong to ahve carried out the work without full compliance with Part P.

After some discussion I offered to go to the kitchen company with the customer and get it sorted.

The customer put her case. I put mine. I reiterated to the kitchen company what I had being saying to them all along that they need to include fusebaord upgrades and main bonding upgrades as part of the fit.

Anyway, bottom line is I have agreed to reimburse the cost of the fuseboard and fitting to the customer. The kitchen company have agreed to go half whacks and pay me half the cost. So at the end of the day I have learnt a lesson and it won't happen again.

Thank you everyone for your comments, good and bad. I have taken it on board. :)

2. Guest

that just takes the biscuit lol.
    you recommend new C.U. , she dont wanna know ,
    spark b comes along , scares her with regs and she coughs up.
    and to make things worse you have to pay for the job anyway.
    I've heard that subbying to these kitchen firms was a bag of * , clearly true.
    I feel for ya , domestic work these days is the bottom of the barrel as far as i'm concerned.

[Edited by: admin]

3. pearcy

pearcy New Member

Thank you everyone for your comments, good and bad. I have taken it on .....

you need a holiday mate....

4. state-it

state-it New Member

UP...

I don't think NAPIT would have really given two hoots. At worst all I reckon they'd have said 'Do it by the books next time.'

It's not like you lashed a shower circuit together on a 50A breaker with 1.5mm cable and exposed connections, is it??!!

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Domestic * at it's best! :(

U need to brush up ya conduit and SWA skills UP and take a less stressfull path! ;)

6. young_spark

young_spark New Member

UP, what a load of you know what that is.

You recommend a mains board, she says no and you have to pay for it lol. What a joke. Should've told them to stick it.

7. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

keep a look out for Mr T uneducated hes got you in his sights

cheers

8. 999

999 New Member

Ah bless

x

9. 999

999 New Member

10. totalsplurdy

totalsplurdy New Member

I'm pleased it's sorted, up, tho' understandably not to your satisfaction.

This story doesn't quite add up, tho'; if you DID - clearly - recommend a CU change at the beginning and the customer turned it down on grounds of cost, surely they're aware - and accept - that you were CORRECT in the first place? In which case, what on earth are YOU doing paying for the work now? The customer should be apologising to YOU.

Unless... the customer and the new sparky are basically blackmailing you with the threat of being reported?

Or - possibly - you didn't make it THAT clear to the customer at the beginning what the proper electrical requirements were?

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Thanks total

The customer "could not recall" me advising her that a fusebaord change was needed. As I was in a very vulnerable situation I decided to accept this and said I could not be sure I told her, just to keep the situation calm. Ultimately I have had to eat humble pie in front of the customer, another spark and the kitchen company boss. None of it very pleasant and not something I would wish to repeat.

On another note, a job I was lined up to do today for a bathroom refit where the customer knew he needed a new fuseboard but was going to have it changed later (yeah right) I decided to push it and said he must have it changed. I lost the job. The bathroom refit will go ahead but he wont be having new light fittings or new shower switch in the wall. I ain't gonna risk it any more.

12. plumberman4u

plumberman4u New Member

Hello There.
    Just got to add my bit.
    5 Stars to UP for holding your hands up. Taken Well Lad.
    3 Weeks ago I was asked to look at a quote * & * had given someone for a new bathroom suite, Mira shower, & Tiling. Total Cost £3100 NOT INC C.U Upgrade or fitting of downlights and neccesary certification.
    I copyed the quote onto my computer ande said I'll work out a quote for "EVERYTHING"
    My quote came to £3400. (Friend of mine doing cu & certs)
    They decided to give job to someone else (£2000).........
    ...... Last Monday KNOCK KNOCK on my door................
    Hello, We've had a problem. Blah Blah.
    They tried to save money by removing bathroom themselves and getting "A FEW" tradesmen in to do it between them.
    Unfortunately they've flooded their house and the guy that was going to do the electrics can't give certs and they can't do the plastering and tiling.
    Can I help out?
    I told them I'll only go there on the basis of my original quote.

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"On another note, a job I was lined up to do today for a bathroom refit where the customer knew he needed a new fuseboard but was going to have it changed later (yeah right) I decided to push it and said he must have it changed. I lost the job."
    ...........and you know as well as i that the job will still be done by "someone"
    It's a shame you have to loose work to punters who know only too well what they are doing.
    Bottom line, customer wanted it cheap, you did it, now due to information given by next spark she knows she has you over a barrel and can now winge on and get the work you recommended done for free.
    Customer *
    Spark who dropped you in it *
    Hope they both get theirs :(

14. cliffy brown

cliffy brown New Member

'kinnell pal, new board again

is that your answer to everything , no wonder everyone tells you to 'koff

15. noconduit

noconduit New Member

Just a board for say 2 bathroom ccts (lights & shower).
    Simples

16. totalsplurdy

totalsplurdy New Member

Cheers, up, for the frank and honest reply.

A stinker, but I guess part of the learning curve.

I'm not a sparky, so can't comment on the technicalities, but is there a cheaper alternative to a complete CU change - the mention of an separate RCBO (or whatever it's called - couldn't be arrised looking back through the posts...) on this thread would come in at - what - £80-£100?

So customers could be given an alternative?

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Of course there are alternative slutions to each job. :) RCBO is not always an option, though, because these tend to be suitable only for most recent fuseboards. None will fit an old Wylex rewireable.

Whatever solution is available is always adding cost to the job.

tbh this has scared me. I have decided to adopt the total fuseboard replacement on each job that requires it because it will enable full compliance with Part P/17th edition, it will make the whole installation safer and it will ultimately prove more profitable for the business. Customers who refuse to have it done are no loss as far as I am concerned. I will still get work. I am sick of pandering to cheapscates and tight wotsits anyway. Life is filled with choices, take the raod that suits is my choice. As others have said, somebody will always do the job, as I was formerly prepared to do. tbh I will feel better in myself anyway, as I am more at home with doing things properly. I was foolish to think otherwise. As my business grows, so do I. Each year brings more experience and more knowledge. Its funny in a way that this has happened. A warning shot if you like. Future customers will hopefully understand. After all, if the other spark is adopting this stanceand getting work, why can't I?

All the best mate. :) Thanks for your support.

18. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

And another electrician bites the dust after jumping through 'the hoop'...............

Lucia x

19. spark113

spark113 New Member

mate, i posted on another topic about rcd protection, a seperate 2 way board with a rccb, £20 in materials, or a rcb fused spur, again £20 in materials.Most customers i find want value for money, and a cu change for the sake of a few extra sockets 9 times out of 10 aint happening. think of it from the customers point of view, if they have a cu change or not the electics still work and I am sure we all can think of better ways to spend £350. These days money is tight and by offering only 1 way of compling with the 17th you could find you price yourself out of the market and end up going bust

20. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Exactly so, 113.

Lucia.