Who would like to see Joiners etc be cert reg ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by FT Joiner, Apr 7, 2008.

1. dunc

dunc New Member

There are other reasons to have qualifications and certificates. Other than the idea that they are there to exclude amateurs.

I think the new certifications for electrical and plumbing seem to have coincided with improvements in the materials and products supplied by the industry. ie electrical work now involves different colour wiring. plumbing has seen the introduction of condensing boilers and a lot more eco related stuff.

So this has prompted the requirement for certification to compliment a renewed enthusiasm for the job. All of which benefits the manufacturers and suppliers.

There is not such a comparable development for carpentry work. But maybe if there was, there would be a renewed requirement for certifications.

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I am a Journeyman Carpenter and Joiner, time served with a approved Apprenticeship, City and Guilds Qualified.

Now I work mainly as a Electrician having accumulated a total of ten City and Guilds Certificate of which six are Electrical Qualifications.

I have to be registered for Domestic Electrical work, it has cost me several thousand pounds one way and another, but it hasn't improved my standard of work it's the same now as it was before, I don't get Customer complaints, I don't leave problems behind, being registered is not a benefit to me or my customers.

One upside is I have had to join a Competent Persons scheme, so I chose NAPIT which is a Trade Association, it is good to be able phone for advice plus they organize training courses etc.

Working as an Electrician who is a Carpenter in disguise I see lads turn up with loads of kit, Paslode nail guns instead of Hammers, Routers to let Hinges in, how come we used to do more work to a higher standard without these toys? Another thing I have seen is the specialization, is that another way of saying semi-skilled? we would put the Joists on in the morning and carry on with the second fix including the Kitchen in the afternoon, now it takes three different people, but we were always busy and earning.

So what would you have, a scheme like CORGI where you have a certificate for Joists, another for roofs etc, I'm fifty one and no one has ever asked to see my Carpentry C+G or indentures, if you are on site carrying out a practical job you start at 8-00 and get sacked by 10-00 if the Gaffer knows his stuff and you don't.The problems start when work is being carried without supervision by knowledgeable people, which is why people traditionally employed a Builder to over see and take responsibility for the whole job.

Yes I see some dreadful work, but Certification is not the answer, the Customer needs to employ people they can trust and if that means paying a Builder decent money instead of trying to get something for nothing then so be it.

LABC? Inspections by the Building Inspector, now theres a funny story!

Anyway Carpenters make the best Builders and are the cream of the trades, spoken by your local Electrician!

Andy

3. guss10

guss10 Member

Whats the point in all this do we really want to be like america and say you can only do gyproc or you can only fit doors its a load of * if ever i herd it let people * up and they learn and we earn of the back of it the client pays cheap and gets cheap shoddy workman ship

[Edited by: admin4]

4. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

the journeyman carp. tooooooooooooooooo long

5. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

rk joiner, try reading your last post in the one breath.