Whole House Pump, now taps leak!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by screwfox, May 19, 2005.

1. screwfox

screwfox New Member

I fitted a 3.5 bar Salamander whole house pump, its the business, but now a couple of taps in one of the bathrooms have started leaking, a pillar tap on the basin (which probably dates from the 80's) and the new mixer from S/F http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=84466&id=35122
    Should I fit a PRV to this bathroom? Or put on a Peglar and shut it a bit?

2. britishblue

britishblue New Member

When you say the taps leak, do you mean from a joint or just a dripping tap. Either way they can be repaired. A joint just needs re-making with a new fibre washer or PTFE tape. If the taps drip they need re-washering and possibly the seating re-cut. You've pumped the whole house to give you decent pressure everywhere, and then you are thinking about putting a pressure reducing valve on to partially cripple it.

BB

3. screwfox

screwfox New Member

Thanks for that BB
    1) The taps just drip, but this obviously causes a drop in pressure because every now and then the pump runs to top up the pressure (clever negative head pump!)
    2) I fitted the pump primarily for the loft conversion negative head condition, pumping this other bathroom was just a bonus, I wouldn't mind restricting the flow a little if it stopped the taps dripping, there isn't a shower in the room so the pressure isn't critical, without the pump the bath fills quite slowly though.
    3) I'll change the washer on the pillar tap, the mixer is less than a year old, could the washer have gone already?

4. britishblue

britishblue New Member

The washer in the mixer tap could have been damaged by some debris in the pipework.

BB

5. screwfox

screwfox New Member

thanks again, I'll fit new washers to both taps and give it a try.

6. Moley

Moley New Member

Should I fit a PRV to this bathroom? Or put on a
    Peglar and shut it a bit?

Fitting a Peglar and shutting it a bit will not stop your taps dripping, as it won't reduce the pressure only the flow rate.