Why are all walls not square!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by leechy, Aug 27, 2004.

1. leechy

leechy New Member

Just finished fitting some worktops, Homebase ones so not the best in the world.

Spoke to the customer on the phone and they made out that it was a straight forward task of one 90 deg and a straight join, Ha!

Turned out to be that plus a huge amount of other cuts to recess the tops around bits of the walls that come into the kitchen. Also not one wall was square to anything!!

Does anybody have any good hints and tips for working around these problems? If I'd have had the time I would have made a cardboard template, luky for me the customer will be tiling so I didnt need to be too precise!!

All tips welcome!

2. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Yeah, look at a job before you take it on and price it!
    You can always ease it into the plaster slightly. Unfortunatley worktops are made in factories to machined tolerances. houses are built in the wind rain and sun to the workmans eye and they are seldom square.

3. I agree with Thermo, never take on job without looking at it, customers have no idea what straight is. The number of times I've heard "it's and easy job , it'll only take half a day". Then you find out the job involves 4m worktops with poor access in house that makes bananas look straight.

4. leechy

leechy New Member

This is the first time I've fallen foul of my Q & A's on the telephone. The chap did say thet it was straight walls, when I got there he said that he was going to rough cut the tops but did'nt have time.

I sometimes do go around to quote if it sounds complicated or the customer sounds clueless. But you live and learn, Moral is 'The customer is not always right'!

Does nybody think that the best way to have dealt with this was to have made a template?

5. Thermo

Thermo New Member

there are many roads to the same destination (so says confucious!) thats one way and certainly cheaper than cutting the top and getting in wrong.

6. Evs

Evs New Member

I recently had a call from a woman asking me to finish a kitchen fit her daughter had started. After refusing to give her a price on the phone I arranged to call to look at the job. Was told on phone that it was a dry fit, 2 runs in a L shape, straightforward. In reality there were no plans, just various part assembled units scattered arround the room, and the 2 runs of the L both had alcoves behind the worktop (1 of these was even behind where the sink would go) After taking about 2 seconds to decide that this job had trouble written all over it I told the woman she had to change her worktops for breakfast bars and then because of all the scribing I wanted £*'s for the job. Now either I have a good earner or, even better, she has given the job to some other mug.
    Moral of the story is not to take anyone's word for it...Go and see it for yourself