Why are these junction boxes full of water?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RipGroove, Jul 11, 2020.

1. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

These were installed in my garden less than a year ago by qualified electricians and ever since I've had problems with the lights tripping out so I finally took the covers off of the junction boxes today and they were full of water!

How can I waterproof them completely? I have 12 of them that need sorting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could it be getting in here?

[​IMG]

2. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

No way, they were full, water poured out when I opened them.

3. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I agree you can now see small droplets from condensation but they have only formed from the large amount of water that was in there.

4. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Screwfix Select

Might be but looks a bit much to me, top entry glands are a weak link, sometimes cannot be avoided, also I have found holes in the blank membranes, looked like a bird had been having a peck

5. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

Has there a drain hole been drilled on the bottom of the back box ?
    To allow condense to escape?

6. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Well I have to do something about it because the lights simply don't work as it is. Maybe I'll seal the top entry point gland with silicone then?

7. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Not that I can see no, I'll do that as well then while I'm at it.

8. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Would it hurt if i put a balloon over the actual cable connector as well?

9. Bogle Crag

Is that a slight crack in the top right retaining jobby , if the lids are not fully locked down it can leak

10. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I just rested the lid back for the photo after having taken it off.

11. Bogle Crag

I meant in the bottom pic

12. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Oh I see, no there doesn't appear to be any cracks, just had a close look.

13. Bogle Crag

Ok must be a line on the moulding, you could fill the box with silicone, or there is a gel on the market specifically for this purpose

14. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Ah ok well maybe I'll do that then, thanks.

15. METRO MARK

METRO MARK Active Member

Have you inspected ALL 12 internally yet ?
    Are they the same

!st that connector block needs replacing

The cores need cleaning up and re terminating
    I would move away from connector block
    The cables look like stranded cores

I would replace with Wago 221-413. Fit the cables. Fill the cable entry hoes of wago with silicon grease, and for added protection enclose in a Durex Condom....New not, but used....:rolleyes:

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That's a worry and I've also just installed several of the same Wiska Box in my garden for a lighting project

Used with a compression gland, as in pictures, they're rated at IP 67 - which should enable these boxes to be immersed under water to a depth of 1m for short periods of time. So the more usual soaking from the rain, a hosepipe or even a jet washer shouldn't pose a problem

If the top gland in third photo is suspect, I'm wondering if the wrong size gland has been used for that flex. Its a 20mm compression gland but come in a range of sizes to suit different flex diameters

With the power off, I would trickle some water down that flex and see if it enters via the compression gland. Dry the box out first with tissue and any water entering will soon be apparent

The thing that strikes me though is this;

You say they've been fitted less than a year and you've had problems with the power tripping ever since (your words)

So, has this been discussed with the 'qualified electricians' (again, your words) who carried out the install ?

Should have been the case the very first time the power tripped after initial install - straight on the phone to them, polite but firm, 'yes hello, we have a problem with our new lights that needs looking into rather pronto like, thank you'

There may be more to this story than we know at this stage but as a diy'er, it amazes me when someone posts a problem on the forum with a job that has been completed by a pro and there is a failure or issue with the work, within an unreasonable time frame, and the advice given to the person who has paid for the work to be carried out is to sort out the issue themselves !!

Sorry but for me, no bluddy way would I entertain that suggestion

If I've paid for a service by a pro and there's a problem down the line (within a reasonable time frame) I'm expecting this person / company to sort out the issue and with no cost to myself

If you've had issues with the lights since install, why the hell should you be drilling drainage holes in the boxes, changing connector strips and filling boxes with gel ??

You used a pro outfit in the first place for a reason

Sorry for long post, just some of the suggestions make me rather angry :mad:

Good luck though :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  17. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Thanks, that photo is of the worst box, the rest are wet but don't have any of that rusty brown water.

18. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Good shout, I'll check that and see if the glands are letting in the water and replace them with smaller ones if need be.

19. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Well yes water is ******* in through the top gland.