Why can't I replace a "motorised valve" with solenoid valve?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Floggedhorse, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Floggedhorse

Floggedhorse New Member

I'm sick to death of Honeywell and Co motorised valves, they always leak and guaranteed to fail!

My background is industrial, back then, you would have been laughed at and given a kick in the "derriere" for suggesting a "Honeywell motorised valve"......solenoid diaphragm valves every time "lad"!, occasionally you might have got a treat and install a pneumatic diaphragm valve.
    On the rare occasion you did get a failure...one clip and one screw for a dud solenoid, and 4 screws if the valve had operated a "couple trillion" times and knackered the diaphragm.

Its easy to find a solenoid valve that can operate at the temperature and pressure!
    You can even mount it upside down, without the risk of water damage from those drips!

Am I missing the obvious here?

Many thanks

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I would say yes, solenoid valves don't have micro switches built in, I am sure you could use reed switches, but these don't actually show it has opened only that there is power. Idea is pump and boiler can't run until valve has opened, putting flow switches could do same but easier to use motorised valve.

Today motorised valves don't work as much as they use to, years ago the programmer supplied the thermostat, and the thermostat supplied the motorised valve, and motorised valve supplied boiler and pump. But with modulating boilers the wall thermostat either stops cycling or is modulating the TRV controls room temperature, so the motorised valve does not change state as much.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Chances are you would get banging in the pipework each time it operated.
    Might also draw more current when operating than a Syncron motor, perhaps cause problems with other sensitive components on the boiler timer etc.

4. Greentram

Greentram Member

As comments above, I'd be worried about the sudden pressure change when the valve shuts, also the solenoid valves I've seen would present quite a resistance to flow whilst motorised valves tend to be full flow, almost anyway.