Why do iIalways get the nutters

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by busy builder, Sep 29, 2009.

1. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Yesterday I had a job to replace the guttering to a terraced house.

I removed the front sections to the middle house and the neighbour asked me if I needed acess to his side with my ladder.
    Yes said I, so he moved his car on the drive so I could get in, he watched me remove the gutter upto a joint on his side of the house about 15" in and replace the gutter upto that joint, (maybe a mistake). If I hadn't done that it would have meant putting another joint on the boundary of the 2 houses, and joints mean possible leaks.
    He never said anything to me as I did it, and as there is a brick porch on the front upto the boundary I needed acess to the gutters on the porch too.

Well tonight he and his wife arrive at my front door complaining that I had removed part of their guttering (about 15") and had been on their property.

So I asked them what they wanted me to do about it, all I could get out of them was that I had attached the new gutter to their gutter with a joint (which was already there) that may leak in the future. Oh.and I had no right to tresspass on their property !!

I said that the husband was their and watched me do it ...no answer to that.

So now they are going to get another builder in to check my work and bill me, well I wait with baited breath

2. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

What utter unreasonable *

I had a similar experience myself while doing mid terrace guttering. neighbour on the left hand side was complaining that I'd left the top gutter 'uneven' looking and that she wasn't happy.

This was before I'd even touched it, it had always been like that and she'd never noticed!!!

I hate jobs that involve their neighbours, they always seem to be sh*ts. :(

[Edited by: admin]

3. DewaltÆ User

DewaltÆ User New Member

you will burn in hell for that error

4. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

the idiot invited you to have access to his property, so long as you have done a good job theres nowt he can do about it.

quickly take a photo of your workmanship if you can (take a water can up there and some plasticine etc to put either side of the joint. fill with water. photograph to show no leaks / damage), before the other builder goes on site. you can bet he will be a relative of pill ock and ***** your workmanship. the photos will serve you well!

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

On the other hand, you have taken his gutter(albeit only 15") and put back new, which obviously looks, well obvious.

Should have stuck with your original thoughts, and left his old bit there up to the boundary, jointed, or stopped if he has his own d/pipe.

Always leave the neighbours as you found it. It must now look odd, and even appear that the neighbours house is shorter than it really is(the joint appears to be the boundary mark).

Best thing you could do(for customer relations-even if they are a PITA)is offer to renew their guttering for nothing(gutter only, tenner? your labour free)so that it all looks together.

Next time you'll know, put the short bits back! :)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. busy builder

busy builder New Member

photos will serve you well!

Would love to but i doubt I'll get access again. It seems there is an ongoing 'thing' between these two neighbours.

7. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

his side is recent, so doesn't stand out.

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

you removed the gutter on the house you worked on???
    So you must have some owldshite left that matches his??
    Tell this old git you expected this and have kept his old gutter, would he like it put back or would he prefer to keep the new?
    He will then have his old joint plus the new one on the boundry.
    Put this offer in writing along with the reason (less joints) you did it your way.
    Also remind him you were invited onto the property and swear blind you thought he asked you to join it there.
    If he didn't and you have misunderstood him and are very sorry and happy to put the awldshite back should he want you too.
    Think he's just fishing to get his guttering done for free!!!!!!

9. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

Given that he was present, perhaps you should have explained about the gutter joint and why it would be better done that way before going ahead with it. As they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

10. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

i'm sure the chap who employed your services will give you access again. you are only talking a 15" overhang so you dont need access to the nutters garden do you?

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If his guttering is similar, then you have done it the correct way(put it back as it was originally) and to NO detriment to his side.

He should be happy that he has had his joint serviced, and refitted for nothing.

Further, if a downpipe is shared, then it makes sense to leave it as it was originally(shared drainage), and that means shared guttering run.

On his bike, the miserable git :)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

Can you post this guys address busy builder? I feel like sending him a hate letter!

Although he'll probably sue the postman for trespassing.

13. busy builder

busy builder New Member

My wife said its not the bloke who invited me onto his property to fix the guttering who's the boss... its his wife. She obviously wears the trousers in that house.

I spoke to the chap who I did the job for and he said ignore the stupid git, as he is happy with my work, and will speak up for me.

He wanted as few joints as possible, well I managed none except for the two adjoining houses and the running outlet in the middle. So he's happy.

14. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

Busy builder - it's been covered above, but with the odd bit of not-such-good advice (Do NOT go up there again and lean over the git's property line...). That IS trespass almost as tho' you walked on his land.

1st - don't worry. Nothing will come of this. The VERY worst that could happen is that you go back and replace the git's 15" and put a new join exactly on the boundary. Even if the 'new builder' writes you a ridiculous letter - which he won't unless he is 'in' on the whole thing - it still won't come to anything as they wouldn't dream of pursuing it. It's a non-starter.

(You'll find out very quickly what this builder is like - if you tell him what actually happened (the neighb inviting you over) and he STILL thinks you should be pursued, then you KNOW he's 'in' on it.)

IF they TRY and pursue it, just put in writing the facts; he invited you over and you thanked him for this explaining to him in conversation that it would be particularly useful because it would mean one less joint, it would be left as it is now (with the 15" overlap) and that he agreed with this. He then watched you carry out the work and even thanked you at the end...

Then add that you are more than willing to replace the 15" section if that's what they really wish.

DO NOT offer any more than this, and DON'T DO any more than this.

Lesson learnt, tho'?!

Next time - unless there's good rapport between the neighbs - perhaps make a new join...

15. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

And keep us posted. :)

16. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

get the photo or take video footage before his builder sabbotages your good work. it will always pay dividends if the richard decides to try and take measures further.

in fact attemt to charge thr ****** for the 15" of new guttering that you provided him with

17. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Macbeth - only the real DA suffers suck verbosity!

18. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

Ah, DA - a man I admire...

19. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

such - suck - what was I thinking?

An admiration society of 1 members, must be a boring AGM.

20. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

'thought that was a Freudian.