Why does my sewer drain keep blocking up?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RipGroove, Nov 22, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Remember to kick up a stink if you have!

2. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I know what you mean, I've gone with www.metrorod.co.uk I don't really have much choice because I need to know if there's an issue of poor installation before my case goes to court so it's now or never. Either I'm throwing £200 down the drain or it's £200 well spent that'll ensure that someone else foots the potential large bill for any fix that's needs doing.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

See blockages where it' just cement slops built & up blocking the pipe from someone emptying their barrow down the drain at the end of the day.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Use to drive me nuts and also plasterers emptying their buckets in sinks :mad:

This one is interesting as it is only every 6 weeks or so and not constant

This one I think is down to the sequence of flows in the manhole. If it is like the one in the picture with a "drop" from the side inlets, they can are a real pain. I had one and swapped it for one where the inlets come in at more or less the same level. Although when I have lifted the manhole I have seen toilet tissue debris on the other channels where a lot of paper has been flushed down - too much for the chamber to cope with and the other feeds cleared it.

Theoretically simple to test, relevel or potentially swap out - but with a number of inlet pipes getting enough slack to do it is going to be a real pain and a lot of digging.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plasterers were the worse.:mad:

Intrested to know how many houses feed into his drain further down the run, whether it's by op manhole flushing from neighbour's or some problem elsewhere in the pipe run to main sewer connection.
    We had one at previous place only happen on certian dates & mainly rice, pounds of it, it was a ethnic peep way down the run, who put left over rice down bog after the various religous festivals held at his house.:eek:

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

True, I think this one is more old fashioned detective work rather than a scan down the pipes especially as RipGrove says he can clear it with a hosepipe. So it doesn't sound like there is a downstream problem.

Same as your rice problem, I had an Asian family flushing newspaper down the toilet. Although, wet wipes, cotton wool, cotton buds, contraceptives etc are all just as bad.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When he next gets blockage, he to get someone with the hose to clear it & he goes to next manhole down the & see what comes down the pipe, might narrow it down a bit as to what it is.

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Fun n games, working with drainage. I was dealing with one a few days ago. Stack was blocked at upstairs toilet height, and I rodded about abit from the bottom. Whole lot came surging out in one go. I didn't eat dinner that night, i lost my appetite completly. :eek:
    Lesson: don't stand in the manhole you are trying to clear.....

My sincere apologies to anyone reading this while eating!

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easier to put up ladder to roof, remove vent terminal & rod the stack from top to downward.:)

FatHands likes this.
  10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I should have thought of that. I would like to say 'at least I know for next time' but I bloody well hope not!:D

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Saves being knee deep in sh**.:p

Years ago I saw someone on a ladder, which he tied to drain pipe for safety, he then lent across a short distance & unscrewed the access cap on the blocked stack,on second floor trouble was there were another three floors above & a lot of sh** in that pipe, what a sight, poor sod held on to that ladder for dear life, as he took the full force of the sh**.:)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    FatHands, chippie244 and Joe95 like this.
  12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Poor lad, there is nothing more horrible than blocked sh** pipes. Ive chucked the wellies and trousers, don't think I'd ever get the stuff out of them!

FYI KIAB, I have a Shepparch 2000s on delivery, should be able to try it out this weekend! Looking forward to it, I have about 20 chisels that need proper sharpening.

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wrong!:eek:

A blocked macerator:mad: & it'coming out through the bath, basin outlet.[​IMG]

upload_2016-11-23_12-34-1.jpeg

Joe95 likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Same as when it happened to me, must have thrown away over £300 of clothes after my incident

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Blocked Macerators arn't classed as a job. They are the work of the devil, cleaning a blocked one is a method of tourture...

I ******* hate them!

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

One of the worse things invented.[​IMG]

Joe95 likes this.
  17. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I don't know why I'm looking at this, it's putting me off my lunch! :D

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

You will be surprised at the diifference in sharpness.

And you find yourself buying knife jigs,as wifey will want her knives sharpened.o_O

Joe95 likes this.
  19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Talk about living dangerously - if the hormones are up then even a butter knife could be lethal :oops:

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  20. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

FWIW - I used Metrorod for a suspected mis-design of my house's previous owners when building their extension.... and it wasn't cheap, but I'm glad I did it.

My drain used to block up regularly - and so did the sewer. I thought the drain had collapsed, and this wasn't allowing solids to be pushed away.

As a direct result of the CCTV, I could see that a section of pipe had failed, that drain flowed downhill, back from the manhole (towards the house gulley, not the sewer) and the angles with which the pipes were set, the solids used to fall into the pipe and then head back into that dip, getting stuck and eventually causing a 4"dia poo sausage to extrude out with water pressure!

Which convinced me to dig my path up (which needed replacing anyway) and sort all the angles, rebed the mis-angled pipe, and fix the slope.

Turned out the previous owner had smashed the clay pipe, and tried to repair it with a piece of plastic perforated pipe. D1ck.

KIAB likes this.