why does the shower keep tripping my consumer unit?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by thecount, Dec 17, 2009.

1. thecount

thecount Member

right, this is really strange, wife has a shower this morning in the en-suite, all fine with the Newteam 8.5kw electric shower.

Then, 30 mins later I have one, and it trips the consumer unit.

And I just can't get it to stay on without it tripping.

I noticed that if I leave the temperature on low (which is cold) its fine, but soon as I go up to High (which is hot) it trips.

the shower is this one:

http://www.bhl.co.uk/product/NEW_NEWTEAM_85KW_ELECTRIC_SHOWERWH

any idea?

we also have the exact same electric shower in the family bathroom, so I tried that one, and its fine.

seriously baffling me.

Lucky I have another shower I guess, but its not the point, something isn't right.

2. Accaman

Accaman New Member

Wats tripping the rcd or mcb??? With 8.5 KW u will want a 32A breaker at least...

3. thecount

thecount Member

4. Accaman

Accaman New Member

Check connections in shower and consumer unit,shower switch.
    A loose connection will produce nuisance tripping.
    If all these are fine then possible fault with shower or its circuit,get a spark in to test.;)

5. doggystyle

doggystyle New Member

,the fault might be internally in your shower,but there could be damage to the cable supplying the shower,isolate the circuit and check the cables in the pull switch these tend to be knicked with screws on installation due to the confined space in the back box , if they are fine i would advise you to get a spark to test the circuit with the correct test equipment ,as the fault could be anywhere

6. britishblue

britishblue New Member

If there is a fault, it's better that the RCD trips than you getting electrocuted. The fact that when set to cold it doesn't trip the RCD, could indicate that the heating element is faulty and water has entered the live electrical part of the element.

BB

7. thecount

thecount Member

ok, I can pick a new one up for about £100 or pay a spark £60 o check it out. think I should risk it and go for a new one.....

8. Accaman

Accaman New Member

If the problem remains with the new shower can i buy the old one for a tenner??? ;)

9. Slap Dash Harry

Slap Dash Harry New Member

Earth fault on shower unit, replace it, simples ya

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

ok, I can pick a new one up for about £100 or pay a spark £60 to check it out. think I should risk it and go for a new one.....

Yah.

And if the fault remains, you will STILL have to pay for an electrician.

Nasty, life is! :( :)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Just get up 30mins BEFORE wife... simples!

12. thecount

thecount Member

its just tripping now all the time.

One other thing which is odd, last night, due to the snow, we had power cuts. and each time, that same RCD tripped each time. the rest of the consumer unit was on, but that same ciruit tripped each time.

coincidence?

strange as the other shower doesn't trip it

I really hope fitting a new shower solves teh other isse, but is this a different issue now?