why doesn't voltage increase

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by orbital, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That's strange. Because a diode passes current in one direction only, and that is in positive to negative direction.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

This is all school boy text book descriptions,, yes it helps us understand on a fundemental level, but none of it is correct according to the latest science,, Quantum physics etc

you never know Handy ,. u might be proved right in years to come

3. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

By convention Andy the flow is pos to neg . It don't really matter although I have always found it easier to follow a circuit diagram using pos to neg flow , I wonder if that is purely from habit or what. however we/they don't really understand whats going on with the lecky, but the current explanation serves its purpose for the likes of us.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Who cares which way the electrons flow? Just as long as we switch our lights on and they light our living rooms. As long as switching the oven on , cooks our Sunday roast.

Lokks. I particularly liked your reply early in the thread that electricity only flows at a rate of approx 3 inches per hour, and that it's like a thick putty. I can see where your coming from on that (even though others can't. I'd always use the analogy of marbles in a tube. If a tube a mile long was filled with marbles, then putting another marble in one end , would result in a marble being pushed out a mile away (almost instantly) , Even though each individual marble had only moved , say half an inch..
    Spot on. ;)

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

In the start they had a 50/50 chance and got it wrong.  They decided that current flows from positive to negative.  Then they found that electrons have a negative charge so had to come up with a cover story.

This was when they had a bit of a think and decided that you have holes with a positive charge and electrons with a negative charge.  When an electron jumps into a positively hole it moves closer to the positive end of the supply, leaving positively charged hole behind it.

Think of a game of solitaire.  When a piece moves into a hole, it sort of swaps palces and the hole appears where the piece was.

So, electrons(-)  flow from negative to positive and holes(+) flow from positive to negative.  Hence the teaching of conventional flow is positive to negative and electron flow is negative to positive.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

BS

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Someones cleaned my keyboard and mixed up the letters,  paragraph 2 line 2 should be "jumps into a positivily charged hole",  para 3 should be places not palces.

Dooooooo!!

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hang on. So what fills the hole left in the negative ?

Another electron heading for + ?

Doesn't that make one end of the negative, positive ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

You are probably correct Andy, I recall having the operation of a transistor explained in a similar manner, when looked more closely at the explanation it didn't hold up. The long standing description of an atom is still being taught in schools, you know the thing , centre nucleus with orbiting electrons, even though it aint nothing like that

9. 200arty

200arty New Member

DC flows at the speed of light!

10. 200arty

200arty New Member

11. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie New Member

Two Cu atoms walked into a bar ...

12. J.P.

J.P. New Member

13. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Pb, what's that ?

14. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie New Member

... the first Cu atom says "I think I have lost an electron",

The second Cu atom says "Are you sure?"

The first one says "I am positive..."

Har har, always a good one. The old ones are the best, are they not Lu?

15. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The discovery of the HIggs Boson, has been welcomed by the Roman Catholic Church... The Pope said today that, "Without it we cannot have Mass.";)

16. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

I just know you read The Week