Why is every customer stupid?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Jun 26, 2018.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Whoever came up with "the customer is always right" must be the biggest wally on the planet, the customer is hardly ever right, in fact in my dealings with the general public customers tend to be pretty damn stupid mostly, closely followed by people behind counters.

KIAB and Jord86 like this.
  2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Not sure about that completely.
    If for example you had to refer to an unknown sole person’s item of property, I would have thought saying “ It is their tool” would be proper wording. Certainly that is how I word it.

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

It makes know difference to me it's the customer who is paying it's there house, their money they can have anything they want, I might advise accordingly but it up to them at the end of the day we just the hired help

longboat, KIAB and PhilSo like this.
  4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I hate when customers say that if a person doesn’t do well at school exams, then they could always go into a trade! :mad:
    Most trades in my opinion actually need a lot of clever work and are often needing skills updated constantly.

RolandK, KIAB and Sparkielev like this.
  5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The one tool in the room would (of course) be Rogerk101. :D:p:p:p:p

Heat likes this.
  6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The only way to be above that sort of customer who behaves as if they are superior is to get yourselves educated as much as possible.
    When you have some paper qualifications, you can gently bring it into conversations. People can be very surprised to find you are a normal educated person and not the stereotype tradesperson they assume most are.
    You do need to be aware of how you formulate sentences and also use the correct words. Also anything in writing (typed or handwritten) is essential to be perfect as you will be judged on it and you never know who will be reading it later.
    That is why I try to do fairly neat hand writing and correct spelling even just on a note left through a door.

btiw2, unphased and ramseyman like this.
  7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

When my cats tell me there are mice inside the house they are always under/behind the tumble dryer. I think they must be getting in through the dryer vent. I position the cats either side of the dryer and then poke the mouse out with my rods.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

That's probably where I came unstuck, heat. I Got 7 'O' levels when I left school and then ONC and HNC in Civil Engineering before getting an BEng degree with Commendation in Structural Engineering with all the in-house courses and bits and bobs you get sent to during your career only to end up with a complete mental breakdown at the age of 43. Then reinventing myself going on more C&G courses to get educated because I wasn't already of course, to go in in to a simple and easy trade like electrical to have to face all the clever sods in it who always know best and always know more than you. Doesn't matter whether you are a customer or a tradesman the bulls**t is still the same and you are never right. Take a look at the friendly banter on this forum over the years. You get labelled a 5-day wonder unless you've been an apprentice, you get labelled as a non-electrician if you don't have a Gold Card from the union. It never ends mate. At least I was good enough to be accepted in to MENSA before I decided that too was a waste of time. Only the top 2% of the population are good enough for that. But the problem is the 98% who aren't. That's an awful lot of people who aren't as clever as you. And they don't half let you know about it. :)

btiw2 and Heat like this.
  9. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I do think there is too much emphasis here in U.K. on qualifications and not enough on a more work related education.
    I do think however that we should keep doing work qualifications every year or so to keep ahead, but without any pressure.

10. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

The customer may not be 'right' but it is their money and if you don't like it walk away. I did this last week and said goodbye to a grand's worth of work. Diary now filling up with nicer customers.

Heat likes this.
  11. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Yeah, and car drivers should re-take their tests every year.

Heat likes this.
  12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Not sure about every year, but I think we should be tested on driving ability and road awareness. It would turn into a money spinning exercise though.

13. joinerjohn1

I do think cyclists should be tested for road sense every couple of weeks ( do any of them actually have any road sense ? )

Heat likes this.
  14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

In defense of cyclists I think it is car drivers who need educating about cyclists. They seem to think they can squeeze by a cyclist and almost force them off the road. Car drivers have little patience when it comes to cyclists. They have as much right to be on the road as a car and they are very vulnerable.

15. joinerjohn1

Dunno UP, the cyclists I usually see are the ones who go out of their way to prove Darwin’s theory. Undertake a vehicle indicating a turn to the left, or suddenly decide to turn right and think us drivers are bloody mind readers. Don’t get me started on the ones who think traffic lights are only for those of us driving vehicles.

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

There are idiot cyclists and idiot drivers, not all cyclists and drivers are idiots of course, but the big difference is that while cyclists can be annoying, car drivers can be killers.

[Note: the vast, vast majority of cyclists are also car drivers, hopefully not at the same time]

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The fact remains a cyclist can be killed by a car driver, I have never known a car driver be killed by a cyclist! Car drivers who occasionally cycle should understand that. Many drivers who see cyclists as annoyances, in their way, blocking them or whatever, have no respect for human life.

rogerk101 and Dr Bodgit like this.
  18. Sparkielev

Yeah poncing around in their lycra thinking it"s the tour de france riding 4 abreast on the road not many will move over if the traffic is piling up brhind them

unphased likes this.
  19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Riding more than 2 abreast is against the highway code, no excuse for that.

unphased likes this.
  20. Sparkielev

Some big fatty on a bike in lycra should be against the highway code

unphased likes this.