Why is it bad to spray a wasps nest?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Gordon J, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

I was painting soffits when I disturbed a wasps nest, the entry point was in a crack above the upstairs window.

I was getting stung and I couldn't finish the job until the wasps were dealt with, so I sprayed some Raid fly and wasp killer into the nest and it took care of the problem long enough to get the job done.

The next day a professional wasp destroyer came out and told me that he couldn't do anything because I'd used spray.

I'm interested to know what the problem was in case I encounter the same situation again. The pro guy wasn't too pleased and walked off before I could find out more.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

2. Maybe he can’t be sure the chemical you used and the product he uses won’t react and release dangerous fumes

3. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

Hiya,

Thanks, that didn't occur to me and it makes sense, I still had the can of Raid with me.
    He that the spray 'threw' the wasps meaning that nothing he had would work.

4. jack Harry

jack Harry New Member

Sometimes, it can be really dangerous.

5. Martyn21uk

Martyn21uk Member

The method the wasp guys use works by spraying a light dust powder covering all of the active wasps as they are coming in and out of the nest. It works by the wasps taking that powder into the nest and spreading it everywhere, including the queen who is tucked away inside. That then kills the queen and thus the nest ceases to exist.

I would guess that by spraying Raid, the nest is not working in its normal full capacity. So some wasps are dead, so thats less to take the powder inside. Those who are still there are probably disorientated or feeling under attack so won't be back into the queen as normal.

Basically the powder is only effective with a fully functioning, full capacity nest.

Gordon J likes this.
  6. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

Thank you so much for your answer, it's logical, technical and satisfies my (often dangerous) curiosity. I'm the guy who'd push the red button when the sign says not to. :-/

Next time I encounter a nest I'll hold off with the spray to give the pros the best chance of success.

That wasps in the nest I spoke of are now all dead with the entry point having been sealed.

Now I'm off to find another quandary to keep me awake at nights!

Thanks a million, that's much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  7. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

For what it's worth...
    When I had a wasps nest in the eves 3 years ago the guy that came and did mine did use a spray. I don't know what it was, but I asked if it was the same as what I could buy in a can. He said it wasn't, it was some thing that was restricted to professionals. I think he did tell me what it was called, but I don't remember.
    It was on a long lance and he did it from outside.
    Bottom line as far as I was concerned was that, he came quickly, it worked just fine, didn't take long, didn't cost much, (£75), and he said he would come again within a year if necessary as part of the cost!
    Regards,
    Cando

8. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

I guess you'd need to be licensed to use the stronger stuff, to keep it out of the hands of us mere mortals. Lol.

The prices for nest destruction varied from £30 to £300 so £75 wasn't too bad.

I'd love to know the names of the chemicals involved.
    That way, assuming I could pronounce them properly I might sound reasonably intelligent in a conversation.
    Any chemists reading?

9. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Interestingly there is a lot of muck and magic surrounding chemicals for pest control. Next time you're in a garden centre have a look at all the different offerings for e.g. ant killer, woodlouse killer. weevil killer, wasp killer, fly killer, flea beetle killer, woodworm treatment and so on all differently priced and most of which depending upon the manufacturer contain the same percentage of permethrin. Permethrin and other pyrethroid insecticides are a modified form of naturally occuring pyrethrum. I have treated many wasp nests with permethrin at dusk and never had a problem. There are of course many other formulations and some of the best, such as Carbaryl for wasps have long been withdrawn.

Gordon J likes this.
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I bet he was miffed as you did him out of some money by tackling it yourself.

Gordon J likes this.
  11. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

Thanks for that expertise, now I'll know exactly what to say when I halt a painting job in the same situation and the customer won't think I'm just scared or being lazy.

I'm guessing that Carbaryl was withdrawn by the EU, in the same way that paraquat was banned in the UK as a weed killer.
    Lead quantities in Solvent based paints were also outlawed given their status as a poison.

You wrote that dusk was the time to deliver the permethrin, is that simply because the nest is less active and the wasps are at their most docile at that time of day?

12. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

Probably!

13. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Yes, exactly that, less active but still returning to the nest and of course if you don’t leave it until pitch dark you’re not fumbling about with a torch.

Gordon J likes this.
  14. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Call me a tree hugger if you wish ... which I'd take as a compliment ... but I've never felt the need to kill any so-called pests. I've had plenty of wasp nest, bee hives, ant colonies, snakes, scorpions, etc. in my gardens around the world and just choose to live and let live!

15. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

I've just been looking up the chemical compositions for products containing permethrin.

Zero in powder looks handy for the next time.

The Amazon synopsis says "Stand well back from the area following treatment" :)
    Lol.

Thanks for all the answers, now I know more than I did this morning! :)

16. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Fair comment but we are all wuss's..:D

rogerk101 likes this.
  17. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

In South Park, Cartman had a spray for hippies.
    Aren't tree huggers the same thing?
    Can anyone recommend an effective hippie spray?
    Thanks.

:) :) :)

ElecCEng likes this.
  18. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Spray can makes them mad and could attack you. It's not fast acting. Also only surface spray so the ones inside fly out mad. I've used ant powder with quick puff stealth like and legged it and that worked. They take inside on feet

Gordon J likes this.
  19. Gordon J

Gordon J Member

Who, the tree-huggers?
    I always thought they were pretty chilled.