Why is it so hard to get contractors to do jobs?

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by vrDrew63, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

WHAT? You mean I'm allowed out?

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I want a wood burner fitting, so got a bloke to give me a quote. He was happy to come by for half an hour and talk me through everything.

I gave him my email when he was at my place so he could send me some brochures, not heard from him since! That was weeks ago!

3. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

First off, the root of the shortage of trades is the 1980's. "Builders" had gained an undeserved reputation of all being cowboys- every tv sit-com had a bad builders episode. Schools were pushing anyone with half a brain to go to university, and the yts seemed to be one step away from boarstall, so fewer good men went into the trades. In the 90's, this shortfall was made up by Poles. Germany has the same shortage, and when Brexit came along, lots of them went off to earn euros and be nearer home.
    Then this "get 3 quotes" thing came along- and suddenly us small guys are having to do quotes, not estimates, but quotes as if we were tendering to build public works. When you are busy it can be very difficult to find the time to actually write a quote, or to cost it out properly, ensure you have enough margin for the unknown problem that you might encounter, especially when you know that statistically 2 out of 3 quotes are just a waste of time. We all work hard, then you come home and can't muster up the oomph to start doing quotes. You don't send the quote for a week, and then get embarrassed to send it at all.

With established customers its much easier. "Look Mr Jones, I can do this. I reckon £2500, definitely under 3grand. I can do it in 6 weeks" and Mr Jones knows I did a decent job last time, and says yes.
    If I've got to do a proper quote, explaining the costs and exclusions etc.- its a pain in the bum. Especially when the other tender was a large company who have an estimating dept who just spend the week doing quotes-except they aren't interested in one man-two day jobs.
    If you demand a quote on paper, you are making yourself a difficult customer.
    Discuss, agree, shake- and it will be job done

4. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

bang on with the quotes

5. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

Definitely sympathise with this, but I also see why for a decent sized job, that having something on paper with enough detail, that can be signed, is really something people need. Look at that other bathroom thread, where an estimate has been given, and now a chancer is trying to charge more than twice the estimate.... What do you think the break point between a "small" job and a "big" job is, were do you think people need to target when it comes to estimating vs quoting?

6. BiancoTheGiraffe

Absolutely NO WAY!

Why should someone risk being ripped off, simply because the tradesman can't be bothered to write a number on a bit of paper?!

Abbadon2001 likes this.
  7. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Ok, but if you want an absolutely firm quoted price, anyone is going to add on 2 grand to allow for the unforeseeable- and when the unforeseeable doesn't occur, you'll pay 2 grand extra for nothing.
    I would have thought that was being ripped off, myself

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

And people don't add on a contingency for word of mouth quotes?!

I don't know anyone who wouldn't walk away immediately if a tradesman refused to confirm a quote in writing!

Ind spark likes this.
  9. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

I'd rather know the higher price before hand than be told a low price for it to be added on to later.

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'm pleased to say that I can't remember the last time I did a written quote.
    Blissful.

11. BiancoTheGiraffe

Surely having it in writing works both ways?!

You wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the homeowner swore you'd agreed a lower price and refused to pay!

Abbadon2001 likes this.
  12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

All the work I do is repeat customers or referrals.
    Never had a problem because I am honest and so are my clients.

Rosso and WillyEckerslike like this.
  13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I was going to post something very similar. My clients pay what it costs and don't pay anything until they're completely satisfied with the work. They keep coming back so I'm assuming they're content with the arrangement
    That said, I'm not tendering for house extensions or the like - just doing kitchens, bathrooms and bespoke or refurb stuff nowadays. They usually tell me what they want and leave me to it, often letting me have the freedom of the house while they take a holiday somewhere.

longboat likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Without fail I always gave a written estimate, existing or new customers....that also formed a contract as to what was agreed....never had a problem.:)

15. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

An estimate is not a quotation.
    Anyway, I didn't say I won't put something in writing, but dropping Mr Jones an email saying
    "To confirm our conversation of earlier, Supply and install loft ladder, repair wall plaster to landing wall, supply and install approx 20 sqM 18mm moisture resistant caberfloor to loft-£2500. Should it be necessary to replace the joists that were noted as possibly rotted, an additional cost of up to £500 may be necessary.
    I have checked the diary, and confirm we will start Monday 19th September, taking approx 3 days.
    Thanks, Rosso"
    which confirms what was discussed between a trusted tradesman and a trusted customer.
    But I'm not having to tart it up to look like a businesslike quotation.
    Quite honestly, if you mistrust your tradesman sufficiently that you want him to write it all down, why are you trusting him to come into your house and start cutting things? How does a piece of paper reassure you that he knows what he's at?
    If I need a trade that I don't have someone in my book already, I have a couple of friends who I will ask for a recommendation. If you don't get a recommendation, you aren't working on one of my jobs. I don't care that you are on mybuilder or trusted traders, I'm not impressed by your fancy website. Either I've seen your work, or someone who I know knows what is good work has seen your work.

stevie22 and Jord86 like this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Picky ..estimates worked for me for 40 years with the added ...any extras or deviation from the estimate will be discussed if required.

Don't give a stuff now as I have the time to work on my own property and the government pay me every 4 weeks to stay home! ;):p

Hans_25 likes this.
  17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just as well really, being as you can’t afford your own prices :confused: ;)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Even more so now since I became a poor OAP!;)

19. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Thank you for your email. Too rich for me.
    Mr Jones.

Rosso likes this.
  20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do not despair it was only a guesstimate.