Why is my floor grout crumbling?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Cornish Crofter, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

We tiled our kitchen floor about 8 months ago but the grout is now coming out.

It seems that it is coming out when we walk on the floor or when it is being washed. I've tile several floor in the past both for myself and other people and never had this problem before.

More recently we have tiled and grouted our utility room next door with the same materials and don't appear to have the same problem - yet.

We are using Evo Stick grout

2. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

You have answered your own question EVO STICK cheap tat,you want to buy some flexi grout either Bal or mapaei,personally I like using mapaei for coloured grout they have such a large variety but for standard white use BAl.As long as all your tiles are fixed down correctly and there isnt any movement then the grout should not crack,you will have to clear all the joints and start again

3. Mr Ian

Mr Ian New Member

At least it will come out easily :)

4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Wot did you tile onto?

5. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Wot did you tile onto?

Solid concrete laid and levelled to give a good surface and key to tile onto.

I know I'm going to have to do it all again at some point, just not now. Fortunately it's my own kitchen that this has happened to.

I've used the Evo Stik before without any problems. Would this problem arise because I got the mix wrong?

The second area I did in the utility room seems to be OK at the moment.

6. It sounds like a mix problem, difficult to say whether too dry or too wet.

Too wet and it would have been like a slurry, end result would probably have been pinholes, but the cement content could have sunk to the bottom of the gap and the sand is what is breaking out.

Alternatively if too dry, there would be insufficient water to enable the grout to set.