Why lining paper???

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tinderstick, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Tinderstick

Tinderstick New Member

I've read a lot on here about lining papers, but can any of you pros enlighten me as to why you would use it. All I know is its a cow to get off!

Wouldn't an undercaoat and emulsion on skim be enough for a good finish? Or, is it for warmth?

Thanks

2. FALCON1

FALCON1 New Member

It takes the chill off of the walls hides defects & airline cracks in plaster you can re paint it & can look better then a plaster finish if hung right

3. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

im sorry cant agree with with those comments makes the walls warmer ,as for as for better finish if you have just had the walls skimmed and you need to line them then the plasterer needs shotting,Ling paper has ity uses and hides all manner of evil but its not a substitute for properly plastered walls

4. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

The primery use of lining paper is to even out surface porosity,secondly it produces an otherwise blemish free surface to work on.
    Aprt from those two, it does cover a multitude of sins and saves a great deal of teedious prep work and filling!

5. T-C

T-C New Member

agree with welshie. T-C

6. FALCON1

FALCON1 New Member

Your right TV it doesn’t make the walls warmer paper has no insulating values what so ever

7. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

The primery use of lining paper is to even out
    surface porosity,secondly it produces an otherwise
    blemish free surface to work on.
    Aprt from those two, it does cover a multitude of
    sins and saves a great deal of teedious prep work and
    filling!

I dont know, as I am the lining paper queen lol, every flippen job I am on the last year or so, there is always some lining to do.
    I normally use 1400, sometimes 1200, and I know what sins it covers, but I still find I still have to do a fair amount prep, specially indents, it will show through L/P, and cracks, so I normally just do my usual prep, whether I use a heavy L/P or the lighter one.

Maybe its cause I'm too fussy, I dont know, but I do love the finish on L/P and when painted nicely it does look the business.:)

8. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

BB, I did not mean that you cut corners! still some prep to do, dont off that easy!!! But must agree, it is wonderfull stuff to work with and finish.

9. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

it's for people who don't want the expense of getting walls skimmed with finish plaster, to be honest.

But in saying that if prep work is done, a high grade paper hung well and then painted, like already stated can achieve a good result.

IMHO though you can't beat a good plasterer and a finish coat skim.

I know sacrilege to decorators, but true.

10. Tinderstick

Tinderstick New Member

Thanks for feedbacks on this. Seems to be a matter of opinion and taste.

If we assume its not for warmth, then there's no real need for me to LP new and professionally skimmed walls?

11. jcts

jcts Active Member

nope no reason what so ever

12. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

if the walls are skimmed properly most definetly there should be no need for lining paper,but on other walls with minor blemishes indents etc where the price of reskimming is an issue then yep paper away

13. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

BB, I did not mean that you cut corners! still some
    prep to do, dont off that easy!!! But must agree, it
    is wonderfull stuff to work with and finish.

I Know you didnt mean that WD :)

I have gone into some houses where they or a decorator has put lining paper up. and I wonder why they bothered, as you can see nibs, indents etc thru the lining paper, specially when the light hits it.

It is great stuff, but in answer to OP question, if you have nice pukks skimmed walls there is no need to line it.

The trick is to do a miscoat on the walls, then wait till evening, turn on artificial light, and then you will see things that you dont see in the daylight.
    As good as skimmed walls look in the daylight, its a different story when the lights hit it.

14. Telmay

Telmay New Member

especially now you can get those halogen/LCD walls lights, they can make a good wall look like the face of the moon with the light shinning across the surface

15. The trick is to do a miscoat on the walls

What's one of them then?

16. jcts

jcts Active Member

mmmm i no

17. jcts

jcts Active Member

that was in regard to your post tel, should of quoted really