Why party wall agreements for c/breast removal?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by 12benny, Aug 14, 2009.

1. 12benny

12benny New Member

Why do we have legislation, hence Blg Regs, for chimney breast removal?
    What evidence is there that such work has caused structural or other problems in the past?
    Anyone know any reasons for originating such legislation?

2. building control

building control New Member

Are you for real?

I could take you to a few houses where numpties like you have removed part of the stack, left it hanging and found it in a heap the following morning.

3. Maurice Gogg

Maurice Gogg New Member

My chimney is still ok, and I removed the chimney breast from the bedroom last week. You must remember, that the support is still there as I left the chimney breast well alone in the lounge. Apart from a couple of cracks in the stack above the roof line, there is no problemo.

4. bapon 1

bapon 1 New Member

Maurice, building control is referring to the usual cretins who remove the stack at ground floor level and leave the rest with no support or more commonly remove the stack from the bedrooms and dont support what is left in the void or out of the roof, like you!. Provide some support ASAP! With regards to the original post, the party wall act is a civil matter and building control have no involvement.

5. Maurice Gogg

Maurice Gogg New Member

What do you mean by providing support. I have left the support well alone in the lounge.

6. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

The history of building regulations can be traced back as far as the twelfth century. Thin party walls, siting of privvies (toilets etc) had an injurious effect on people. after a major fire in London in 1212, thatched roofs were banned. Later on after the Great Fire of London 1666., the London building act was introduced in 1667. This stated that all buildings were to be constructed of stone or brick and stipulated widths of streets etc to act as fire breaks.
    Later on the Public Health Acts were the forerunners of modern building regs but it wasn't until as late as the early 1960's till we had proper regulation. The Building regs were first published in 1965 and became operational in February 1966.
    In your case the building regs cover work done to remove chimmney breasts so that you dont adversely affect the structure of the building to such an extent that the said chimmney falls down. The best way to remove a chimmney breast is to remove the stack completely from the top downwards, but you can cause damage to the party wall as you chop bricks out. If your chimmney stack above roof height is shared with your neighbours (as is typical in terraced houses)then, careful consideration has to be given to maintaining the appearance of the chimmney above roof height. Usually a steel beam or a gallows bracket is incorporated into the loft to support the weight of the stack on your side.
    Happy to Help. :)

7. Maurice Gogg

Maurice Gogg New Member

Can't I use the lounge fire then? I hoped continue using it in winter to help heat the downstairs.

8. bapon 1

bapon 1 New Member

Yeah, just dont shut the windows ! d*****

[Edited by: admin]

9. 12benny

12benny New Member

Thanks for the interesting information from those that gave information based on the query itself and not on some bizzarre reading of the query.
    As for the sad inadequate that calls him or herself building control, why not read the Q? If you are not literate no problem, help is available. If you are merely some web-invisible tough guy with a need to roar perhaps Mogadon would help.
    Dont give up however sad inadequacy is a lifetime difficulty and i'm sure that we all wish you well in your endevours to wear ladies clothes and type on a keyboard all at the same time.

10. paddyodoors

paddyodoors New Member

all that from someone called benny haha ps ul sruggle to find any building control that will allow u to use gallows brackets anymore

11. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Paddy, it's years since I removed a chimney breast. Last time I used a gallows bracket must have been about 20yrs ago. The last chimney breast I removed was around 10yrs ago and the client had installed a steel beam in the loft space to support the remaining stack. Note to self,,,, must read up on the regs more often :)

12. paddyodoors

paddyodoors New Member

its all to do with the bricks going crumbly etc if u can demonstrate that u can get a good fixing u could get away with it but its not worth it

13. building control

building control New Member

benny12 (I assume thats your age?) I answered your "Qwestion" you asked why there was b Regs legislation, I replied that its to stop you dropping the house on your kids heads, you can kill yourself but no others ok?

and gallows brackets went out 20 years ago as was said, its dificult to get a good fixing.

14. bapon 1

bapon 1 New Member

does anyone else think maurice was a wind up? if so, he should be kicked out of the fourum. people ask genuine questions and others try to help, idiots like him are watseing everybody's time.

15. Maurice Gogg

Maurice Gogg New Member

16. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

i cant believe what ive just read!
    Also the agreement may be because they have a breast on the other side of yours, if you removed yours it may unbalance their side and cause a collapse.

17. Maurice Gogg

Maurice Gogg New Member

There cannot be anything worse than unbalanced breasts.

18. Maurice Gogg

Maurice Gogg New Member

Except, maybe, a breast missing.

19. bapon 1

bapon 1 New Member

dont want to sound like a boring t*at, but that isnt funny.

20. 12benny

12benny New Member

1. Gallows brackets were and are allowed for c/breast support. see for example various London council pdf's ref. chimney breast removal.
    2. Where is the evidence of past difficulties or failures
    - now stop and think, think , think for what i'm asking.
    Point me to a web recorded incident eg newspaper or Gov. example. Not opinions, but hard fact examples.