Wickes 50 Boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gusset, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Woke up cold this morning....boiler had gone out! Its a Wickes '50', made by Halstead Boilers probably about 10 years old and never missed a beat until now. Pilot will light, but won't stay on when the button is released. Plumber at work reckons the best first fix is to replace the thermocouple, but the monkeys at Wickes didn't even know what one was never mind where to find one. Will call in to a proper plumbers merchants tomorrow but just wondering if you chaps had any thoughts of obvious/simple fixes other than the thermocouple before I call the gas man? Nothing has been altered recently, and air vent is clear.

2. Hello

Hello New Member

Bypass the thermocoupler by bridging the terminals 4 & 7.
    This should do it.

3. After 10 years I expect the thermocouple needs replacing!

Its a simple enough job although unless you are competent it should be done by a CORGI.

I dont know for sure but there is a universal type which fits many boilers and might be the one for yours, costs about £4. If you get one specifically for yours it would be closer to £10.

Tony

4. plummit

plummit New Member

Out of my depth here, so take this with a pinch of salt.
    Probably the thermal coupler, or possibly the solenoid, on the multi function gas valve.
    There are some learned people on here, to steer you in the right direction. Best listen to them.

5. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

Bypass the thermocoupler by bridging the terminals 4
    & 7.
    This should do it.

never do this! the thermocouple is a safety device and is there for a good reason, if faulty it should be renewed and never bypassed.

6. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Thanks all. I've got the old thermocouple off without any trouble (not sure if that means I'm competent...but thats a whole different thread...)and will try & get a matching one tomorrow. Take your point about bridging terminals and I was tempted, but I'm no heating engineer, and for £4 it wont do any harm to replace it without getting out of my depth. If that doesnt work I think I'll get a man in. Or a woman. Then it won't matter about the heating being off.

7. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Beat me to it SDS, if it worked I might have been tempted to leave it bridged

8. kimble

kimble New Member

Got a wickes 50 myself and the universal thermocouple does fit. replaced mine about 5 years ago, piece of p iss

9. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Thanks all. I've got the old thermocouple off without
    any trouble (not sure if that means I'm
    competent...but thats a whole different thread...)and
    will try & get a matching one tomorrow.

They are cheap enough so buy two and keep one near the boiler.

10. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Universal Thermocouple £5.50 from the merchants (assume that was £4 plus my 'numpty in a suit' discount of -£1.50)(not complaining really),5 minutes with a screwdriver and hey presto, hot water. Thanks for the advice. Am I corgi qualified now??? ;)